Discouraged

Whuzzt...

Herobrine startled awake, becoming aware of one of his servants looming in the kitchen. Perceiving the report, he nodded, dismissing the creature again.

Steve was coming back. Good.

Still sleepy, Herobrine turned and glared at the pot of stew, which was still simmering on the stove. He should have already taken it off the flames. It was now what? Half hour past that time?

A scowl appeared on his face as he considered yet another display of his current weakness. He had fallen asleep right on the chair where he sat. He had closed his eyes only for a moment!

But it was a good thing that the Human was coming back, safe.

He couldn't help but worry for the past five hours, watching from the eyes of his hidden servants in the tunnels as Steve slowly led the two Players from place to place, while they meticulously marked off the areas on their map. They also had equipment, which allowed them to detect hidden areas behind walls of stone. On several occasions, they stopped and turned to areas, where they then indicated Steve to mine while they stood on the ready with their weapons drawn. That's how they found hidden grottos with precious minerals and stones, which they then graciously allowed Steve to mine on occasion before they moved on.

Herobrine himself had not been aware of those areas, since the thickness of the stone had been too great for his senses to penetrate, and he still had hard time distinguishing what lay within the areas that he did perceive. It could be filled with gaseous poison or deadly traps, which could cause significant discomfort even to him. To send himself into a respawn purely by accident would have been the height of foolishness. That's why he preferred to leave such areas alone despite the riches they might provide, held very valuable by the humans.

Steve seemed to find this incredibly exciting, Herobrine noted with unexpected jealousy the awed look Steve had on his face as he proceeded to mine diamonds and emeralds from abundant hidden veins. He could have also shown the miner such places as Steve could never dream of! He would, when he could teleport again, Herobrine resolved to himself.

What was far more concerning, that while these Players swept across underlying tunnels one by one, they HAD found four of his hidden places of refuge. The thought of what would have happened if his servants chose to take him there, asleep and helpless while his body struggled to repair itself, left a cold feeling in Herobrine's stomach. Even without Steve's help, these Players would have found him long before he regained consciousness.

Good thing that his servants brought him here, to Steve. While not exactly safe, now he could watch their progress thanks to Steve, his wounds dressed and treated, even if they were not healing as well as they should have.

Herobrine's eyes returned to the pot, which he should remove from the stove before the savory stew overcooked.

He forced himself to his feet. His breath locked as a sharp stab shot through his injured shoulder with white-hot flare. Grasping to the table with his one good hand, he grinded his teeth, feeling the world sway around him as he barely kept himself from falling. After a moment, the pain slowly subsiding, Herobrine gave his mangled shoulder a hateful look. Why did it still not heal?

It should have healed already. He had suffered even worse injuries before on several occasions.

Something was wrong...

Another strange sensation came and went. It was almost as if he could still feel his arm. Something was crushing it. The sensation came and left again, settling again into a pressing ache.

Could it be that his severed limb was still at his mansion, buried deep beneath the rubble? Then, these sensations would make sense. Only that should not be the case! It should have simply dissipated, returning to his body after a preset time period. His code would always pull together again, even if it became scattered across great distance as it happened when he died in a trap set with massive explosions.