In Town

Herobrine still slept when Steve checked on him in the morning.

Deciding to proceed as planned, Steve gathered up the goods he planned to trade, carefully pulling out a list where he added healing potions at the bottom, even though it would be nearly impossible to forget considering what happened last night.

Casting an uncertain glance back to the room where he could glimpse the unconscious man laying still on the bed, Steve took a breath and pushed open the door, immediately met by a pair of suspicious white eyes turning in his direction. A quick look around confirmed to Steve that only one of the tall mobs remained on guard.

"Listen, um... I need to go. To town, to get more potions. I think it will help him recover faster." He explained to the mob, who only blinked and looked away, losing interest. Counting that as permission, Steve started walking away.

At the edge of the path, he couldn't help looking back at his cabin and searched, not noting any of the Endermen remaining in visible view. That was probably good? An Enderman hanging around his place might stir suspicion and Steve didn't want anyone to know that he had Herobrine as his unwilling guest at the moment. It was one thing to complain that he haunted him on occasion, and entirely another to admit that he helped the notoriously controversial being in any way.

Still thinking about that and possible consequences that might occur if this was found out, Steve decided not to tell anyone anything as he made his way to the nearest town about a half-hour's walk away.

Nearing the settlement, significantly grown in the past five years that he moved to live here, Steve noted the strange agitation within. Coming closer, he heard voices shouting out in excitement. There was even some music and dancing. Frowning, he wondered if he missed some sort of festival?

Looking up at the widely open gates, strangely unguarded as all the guards were looking in the other direction from the entrance, he noticed a festively set up town square directly ahead. A platform stood in the midst of colorful trader tents, with banners suspended on each side.

"And to commemorate this memorable feat, this day will be declared a celebration!" The town mayor proclaimed solemnly, to which the gathered people responded with cheers. Curiously, Steve stopped and looked at the gathered crowd and the tables pulled out and already loaded with food and free beverages.

"What's going on?" He asked Greg, the town guard who stood closest. The other regretfully pulled his eyes away from the several kegs of beer and barrels of ale that were rolled out and proudly displayed on the festive tables. This time, the cheering came more heartfelt.

"What?" He turned to Steve forgetfully. Steve grinned.

"What's going on? What the reason for all this?"

"Ah... Just a small celebration in honor of heroes. They came to visit, claiming that they finally took care of our problem for us."

At Steve's raised eye-brows, the guard shifted, his voice growing a bit hushed. "The... um... Him. They went to the Mansion to challenge Him and won."

"You mean?..." Steve frowned, not finishing his sentence due to the superstitious look that appeared on the guard's face. The man nodded with relief.

"Yeah. He is gone. The heroes got rid of him. Or so they say." The man's last words carried a bit of doubt. His eyes once again returned to the beverages, a long-suffering expression appearing on his face.

"Is your shift over soon, Greg?" Steve poked in good fun, at which the other man rolled his eyes and pushed the helm of his helmet back a bit, it once again sliding over his eyes.

"I wish... Another three hours to go. I hope there is something left by then."

"Tell you what, I'll buy you a beer." Steve promised. The other's eyes brightened, only to fall again.

"No, no, better not." He glanced resentfully into the direction of his commander on duty, who stood a bit further away, talking with a group of higher ranked guards in full gear, appearing ready to leave. Maybe to investigate if the words of heroes were true?

"All right, then. If you're sure."

"Yeah. But you go on ahead, Steve. Have fun." The guard amiably grinned at Steve, remembering his primary duty and waved the miner through. Steve nodded to him again, and, still casting the festive crowd a curious look, headed toward the clean-looking two story building with the sign "Gwarton's Apothecary" and the image of a green potion bottle hanging over its entrance.

The last item on his list should probably be first.

Heroes...

So, that's what happened. Herobrine also called them "Players" sometimes for a reason Steve could not quite understand - some of the things Herobrine mentioned were strange.

The sooner he could get out of here, the better. Who knows what these "heroes" might decide to do if they learned that Steve helped the "monster" that they came here to hunt. And apparently succeeded. They must have been pretty strong to have bested Herobrine, who was far more powerful than Steve. What if they decided that Steve was in Herobrine's service?

Steve wondered if he should tell Herobrine's Endermen to take their master away somewhere else. Surely, he has some sort of hide out or somewhere he could stay out of sight while he recovered? He boasted before that there was no way any of these human heroes, whom he occasionally called Players, would ever find him unless he wished to be found.

Then again, he said the same about them besting him, laughing at their pathetic attempts. Remembering the man's derisive, superior look as he accounted for purposefully defying these powerful humans and playing tricks on them in their own settlements, Steve silently stifled a sigh. He knew that Herobrine's arrogance would come to no good. He just knew it. But his twin wouldn't listen, only scoffing at Steve's best attempts to suggest that maybe provoking everyone was not the best course of action. No matter how powerful Herobrine was, obviously there were others who finally matched him and won.

He should tell Herobrine's servants to take their master somewhere else. But the thought of him, wounded and unconscious, entirely helpless for the moment... Steve doubted that Herobrine's servants would know how to care for him. Herobrine often complained that they were not very smart, no matter how much he tried to teach them.

Steve would have to take care of Herobrine. At least until he woke up. And he certainly could not let these "heroes" hurt him more than he was already - even if he really was immortal as he claimed.

The man didn't deserve it.

He didn't really like Herobrine. The man assumed too much of himself and the way he spoke about humans with so much contempt, on occasion including Steve in their number? But as far as Steve knew, he was not bad and didn't actually hurt anyone unless they came to challenge him at his own home ground, as sometimes happened. He also occasionally ventured into other realms and did mean tricks. But he was not the blood-thirsty murderer that hunted people in the dead of the night as some of the local legends claimed. Steve knew him long enough now to know that Herobrine did not do such things.

He didn't deserve to die. And Steve would do his best to protect him, Steve resolved. Hopefully, Herobrine would soon wake up and leave.

With that thought, Steve put an amiable smile on his face and entered the apothecary's store, quickly thinking of a story he would tell to the man to explain his sudden need of so many healing potions.