An Unexpected Find

Steve's unhurried pace carried him home, a pleased expression settled on his face. Today, he had done quite a bit of successful mining and he looked forward to what he would trade in town for it. Considering a lengthy list of supplies that he would need to obtain, he barely paid attention to his surroundings until he was almost at his cabin. And only a casual glance forward toward the place had him stop, freezing in his tracks.

Steve's blue eyes widened at the sight that he certainly didn't expect to see.

A group of six Endermen stood ganged in a tight group by his porch, their long, dark bodies nearly blending with the nightly shadows. They shifted, as if waiting for something. Their luminous eyes glowed white, which meant that they belonged to Herobrine.

Noticing Steve, standing like a pole in the middle of the trail, the mobs livened up and made noises, which seemed almost... Hopeful?

Encountering several pairs of faintly glowing eyes aimed at him, Steve hurriedly dropped his gaze out of habit. Then looked up again, blinking at the mobs in confusion. The fact that they belonged to Herobrine probably meant that they would not attack him for staring at them. At least, that's what Herobrine claimed. Unless he ordered them to attack, they wouldn't, that is. Recalling the man's smirk, Steve frowned at the mobs, trying to figure out why they were here.

They were all still turned in his direction, waiting.

Oh...

So they were waiting for him...

More sounds came from the group, growing impatient, and Steve startled when one of the creatures teleported right next to him and insistently made a louder screech, its maw opening wide. Steve's breath briefly caught despite himself and his heart instantly sped up.

"All right! All right!" Steve frowned up at the tall mob.

They obviously wanted him to hurry up and come closer.

Steve forced himself to walk forward, cautiously stepping past the creatures as they parted, revealing something lying on the ground next to Steve's front porch.

His eyes fastening to the form, Steve once again froze in shock, as his mind identified the object. Lying on the ground was the body of his twin, dressed as usual in his familiar teal shirt and dark blue trousers. His state, however...

Steve's eyes scanned across the numerous injuries, cuts and burns that covered the being's body and held, aghast, at the man's left shoulder. There, where he should have had an arm, only a blood-soaked short sleeve clung to ravaged flesh.

Was Herobrine... dead?!

Steve's eyes shifted to the wounded man's chest and noted shallow, uneven movement, slowly lifting and falling.

Alive then.

Even though by the looks of those wounds he should not be, had he been an ordinary man. Which he was obviously not.

Another demanding rumble, louder, snapped Steve into action.

"All right, all right." He protested and hurried toward the still body of their master, pulling out bandages, immediately starting to apply them everywhere he saw active bleeding. There was not much. Steve frowned, though his frantic actions did not cease. Did it mean that his powerful twin was already healing from his griesly injuries? Or, that he had simply run out of blood?

Could he even die? What would happen if he did, while in Steve's care?

At least, now he knew what the Endermen wanted him to do. They wanted him to help their master.

Steve continued to wrap the bandages, wincing as he applied pressure against the torn flesh and with alarm noting the complete lack of response from the other. Catching the mistrustful, worried looks the Endermen cast, hovering close, Steve frowned deeper. Did they think that he would hurt their master somehow?

"Of course I will help. I don't really have a choice, do I?" Steve grumbled at them and flinched at yet another warning screech as closest Enderman bent in a threatening way toward him.

"Besides, I would help him anyway. I do have a heart, you know." Steve's voice tinted with hurt. His lips pinching tight, he continued to work silently, trying to ignore the hovering Endermen.

Finished, Steve lifted his blue eyes to directly meet the glowing eyes of the creatures. He was too worried over Herobrine's condition at this point to worry over possible hostility.

"Could you... help me bring him inside?" He asked, not sure if the mobs would understand.

But they did, reaching their long arms toward their master and picking him up once more, none too gently. Steve winced, but stepped toward the door of his house and pushed it open, holding it open for them.

"B-bring him..." Steve motioned.

With uncertain sounds, the mobs dragged their master's body inside, carelessly jolting Herobrine's head against the edge of the door as they brought him past Steve.

"Careful!" Steve frowned at the creatures, who only made guilty noises in response.

Coming inside, they crowded, their bodies slightly hunched to fit inside the low-ceilinged room, and waited until Steve walked in also and led the way to the far guest room he had made but so far had no need to use. The mobs followed and at Steve's directing gesture, lowered Herobrine's body into a bed. Immediately, all but two of them hurriedly vanished in a flurry of melting purple particles. Two remained, perhaps to make sure that Steve did indeed continue to help their master. He saw it in their threateningly looming postures.

Steve hesitantly approached his twin and swallowed. Now, in the better light, he could see him more clearly. He could hardly imagine what possessed someone to hurt Herobrine this badly. And more importantly, who? Who would have dared to do such a thing to someone so powerful?

At the threatening sound, Steve glared at the Endermen.

"I AM helping him. Stop scaring me and go. I'll take care of him, I promise."

The Endermen exchanged an uncertain look and vanished, to Steve's immense relief, though by the short wurps coming from outside he suspected that they had taken posts there, not trusting him completely.

Letting out a breath, Steve slumped slightly and turned his attention back to Herobrine. Now, he could finish treating his injuries properly. He needed supplies.

Steve hastily rummaged through his chests, grabbing more bandages and a basin, which he filled with water and placed on a wooden chair next to Herobrine's bed. With dismay held two glowing potions before his face, knowing that it would not be enough and regretting not keeping his healing potions stocked. It was Herobrine's fault. Ever since him showing up, Steve had been growing more and more careless as he wandered across the wild places, reassured that the mobs would ignore him. Taking his safety for granted, Steve began to forget to stock up on healing potions.

Steve grabbed a jar of honey and added it to the mix. It would do in a pinch, until he got more potions. Then, settling down on another chair, he began to patiently retreat the injured man's wounds. Cleaning them from dust and debris. Applying honey to bandages and rewrapping them over wounds he missed. Slowly releasing the tight strap he put in place above the site of the man's lost limb, checking for bleeding, before wrapping it tight as well. Wiping the blood away from his face and washing it out of Herobrine's tangled hair. The cloth Steve used turned the water in the basin dark red and he had to change the water several times.

The entire time, Steve saw no response. The formerly powerful being remained still, asleep through it all, his body trying feebly to regenerate.

His treatment of the man's wounds finished, Steve held his gaze on the unconscious man's pale, calm face.

"Who did this to you, Herobrine?..."