Gratitude

Steve returned home and found Herobrine still asleep.

His twin's face seemed less pale, to Steve's relief, but the rasping in his breathing grew even more pronounced.

Once again, Steve gently placed the back of his hand against Herobrine's forehead and felt the heat radiating off of it. The skin felt damp. A quick glance at the man's chest confirmed Steve's suspicion, coming faster and more labored than before.

Infection and fever?

"Great..." Steve muttered, discouraged. Still, he proceeded to pull out potions he just traded for in town. Gently propping up Herobrine's head, he slowly poured them into the man's mouth a tiny bit at a time to avoid drowning him. Easing his twin's unresponsive form back on the pillow, Steve considered him with worried eyes.

He was not sure at all if he was doing this right. What if he was not helping Herobrine at all? What if he needed something else, which Steve simply did not have?

His twin was not exactly human. He was powerful, Steve always believed that. But, looking at him now, he could not help wondering just how much of what Herobrine claimed to him was true?

Was Herobrine even really immortal?

Steve's blue eyes strayed to the stump of Herobrine's arm, where blood slightly stained the bandages, stubbornly seeping through.

Or maybe he was exaggerating his abilities and boasting as usual when he mentioned that he was far better than a common lowly mortal like Steve.

Steve checked the man's bandages to make sure they remained snug and left to do his own daily chores that he had left neglected this morning. Trying his best to ignore the Endermen, three of them this time, whose white eyes continued to follow his every move, Steve took care of his animals, milked cows, and poured feed for the chickens.

He just started to shovel away the dirty hay in his barn when a dull sound coming from his house followed by a muted oath, made Steve pause, his eyes snapping toward the house. Straightening, Steve waivered, then set his rake aside and forced himself to walk back to the house to check, his heart beating faster despite himself.

Was Herobrine awake? Steve's stomach tensed at the thought of facing the unpredictable man's reaction. Somehow, he doubted that Herobrine would be pleased to find himself here.

Hopefully he won't kill him just for seeing him like this! It wasn't Steve's fault that his servants decided that Steve's cabin was a far better place to take their master to recover than whatever place he must have prepared for his own safety.

Steve found Herobrine on the floor next to the bed, one shaking hand braced against the floor in a futile attempt to get up. He must have tried to get up and fell.

Glowing white eyes shot in his direction, at first opened wide with near panic and confusion, but narrowing when Herobrine recognized Steve standing in the doorway. Hesitantly, Steve dared to step closer and offered his hand. Herobrine's eyes narrowed even more.

"...I don't need your help, Human." The man growled quietly. Steve stepped back. He stood and winced, watching Herobrine make another fruitless attempt to get up. Seething with frustration, the man glared at Steve.

"Leave! I don't need you!" Herobrine raised his voice at the mortal, who flinched and took a step back. Only to glance helplessly at the three Endermen, who peeked in and at the sight of angry Herobrine immediately teleported away just as the man opened his mouth.

Herobrine clenched his jaw shut.

So... THAT's who was at fault for him being here.

Herobrine scowled. His servants were wise to flee from his displeasure. And he would have told them off for their ludicrous ideas, had he any strength left. But he couldn't teleport after them. None of his powers responded to him, his body apparently too weak to even let him stand.