Chapter 17, Part B

Valens stared in pleased surprise at the repaired tower's singing white walls, then drew a deep breath. Domi got the feeling it was as much to steady the man as him and Dae. "Alright, Alumnas, I don't really know how this next step will work, but--"

"I do," Daedalus said, his soft voice at once firm and full of awe.

Domi didn't blame his twin. "Me too." His own voice was almost as shaky as his hands. Uncertainty gripped him tight--about whether or not the tower would really be able to restore the Trellis, about the absent eidolon's concern, and about what would happen to him and Dae after the Trellis was rebuilt.

But utter certainty filled him about how to use the tower. He knew it as easily as he knew his own name or how to blink.

The tower itself told him.

Knowledge unfolded within him. Black and starry, white and sparkling, it blossomed in his mind like the rosebud he'd seen on the library's ceiling. Each petal of layered information brushed softly against him, its meaning rising like perfume, fragrant and inviting.

He felt Daedalus too. His twin lingered closer than ever, as near as his own breath. The other boy's wonder and fear mingling with Domi's. They clung to each other as much for stability as reassurance.

Three petals brushed them, theirs to pluck or not. Thought-sensations, rich with imagery, filled their minds.

Clearing. A hungry fog, reducing flora and fauna, soil and sea.

Weaving. A fiery brilliance, filling the sky with light and life.

Rising. A glowing star, shooting up into the black heavens.

"Should we let them do this?" Aix's voice came from far away. Domi could barely feel the warm stone floor beneath his feet,: let alone see where the old man's voice came from. "Perhaps we should wait, Alumna. Study this."

"Look outside." The tension in Valens's voice almost made Domi pull his awareness from the tower.

"Oh, Eternal Radiance," Aix breathed.

"The clivia may not be able to get in, but that eidolon and daemon can. And who knows what all those Blended can do. This may be our only chance."

"Yes," the lifeholder said, "but..."

It is not for them to decide.

Domi shivered at the odd sensation of his twin's voice between his ears but nodded. Exactly. Everyone's depending on us. We have to help them, Dae. We have to. And we've got to do it before Kaitlyn can stop us.

Are you ready? His twin's fear swept over him. I... I have never done anything such as this before. It might hurt. Or it might go awry. I cannot be sure.

Domi snorted, though he wasn't sure if it was inside his head or not. I've never been ready for any of this. Why start now? Let's do this.

As one, they turned their attention to the second option, feeding the tower their intention.

The tower answered.

Calm white walls flared flame blue. "Sweet Eternal Radiance!" Aix snapped far away.

"Close your eyes!"

Hot. The tower grew very hot, very fast. Hot and bright and loud. Domi clasped his ears, gasping as the tower shined and roared. Its prior soothing resonance gave way to a familiar majestic hymn.

He and Daedalus huddled together on the hot floor, panting as a dark figure stood above them, arms outstretched to block some of the unbearable light and heat. But not enough. Domi whimpered, jerking his hands up away from the hot floor and cradling them in his lap, but could not do the same with his legs and feet.