Chapter 2, Part B

"Who the hell are all these people?" Domi's aedificans snapped at his Praetor the instant they arrived for Valens and Arbita's wedding.

Nearly three hundred people were milling around Cerasus's spacious salutatio hall, which had been decorated with countless hanging pots of dangling blossom and grape-laden vines.

Domi peered at the gathered people in confused curiosity. He'd never seen so many sorcerers in one place. Where had these Promethidae come from? There were even some Pyrrhaei bustling about, carrying the heavy winter paenulas of the Lightholders they accompanied. Radix had told him once that less than ten adult Lightholders lived here in Urbs Hostiae, so most of these people must have traveled.

He glanced sideways at the redhead, smiling. They knew everything.

The younger Pullatus smirked back, amber eyes sparkling. They placed one hand over their non-existent laurel and dipped in a dramatic bow. "Allow me to take your paenula, your Promerentiness."

Domi snorted but nodded. Best to keep up the appearance of master and servant, at least in public. He let Radix help him out of the heavy winter mantle.

Sidus caught his eye with a slow smile. "Need more help undressing?"

"Y-yes?" Domi said absently as he struggled out of the heavy layer, then realized what the starholder had just said and, worse, what he'd just replied. He felt a flush heat his cheeks. Eyes devour. "I mean, no."

Sidus chuckled but let him be.

Cerasus seemed to be in a pleasant mood for once. He grinned like a proud father as he draped his arms around Valens's and Arbita's shoulders and drew them into the crowd. "You may not have wanted to invite anyone, but I had a few guests of my own in mind."

"It isn't even your wedding, Cerasus," his sister pointed out, although, unlike Valens, she seemed more amused by the hubbub than annoyed.

Cerasus shrugged. "I'm officiating it. It's my only sister and best friend who are getting married." He squeezed their shoulders and grinned jovially. Domi could not help but stare at the weird expression. He had not known the grouchy royal could smile. "So I invited a few people to share the happy day with us. If you want to whine, lodge an official complaint with your Praetor."

"You invited the whole damn curia, Praetor," Valens said. "And everyone's servants."

"Yes. Not everyone could make it to Urbs Hostiae on such short notice, but-"

The worldholder's eyes narrowed. "I mean you invited the whole curia."

"Oh. Right." Cerasus offered a sly smile. "Yes, your mother and father are indeed on their way. And your siblings. You think I want your mother after my hide for not inviting her? I doubt that they will make it in time for the ceremony, however."

"Damn it, Cerasus."

Domi lifted a brow at his aedificans. "You have a family?"

Surly amber eyes narrowed down at him. "Everyone has a family, Alumna."

"What," Radix teased, elbowing Domi's side, "did you think he hatched out of an egg or something?"

Bellus seemed to have an uncanny ability to melt into a crowd until he found something to disapprove of. The Empowered mindholder glided forward now, his gold-banded laurel like blue fire at his throat, and gave the redhead a stern frown. "Hush in public, servant."