Chapter 13, Part B

The last person Valens wanted to see--though for reasons he could never have anticipated a month and a half ago--stepped into the prison suite around noon.

"Arbita," he said, his heart heavy with dismay as his wife stepped past the cart where he had piled the untouched dishes from the midday meal. She carried a silvery gray swathe of cloth over one arm. "Why didn't you run?" Now she was going to be a hostage, along with their unborn daughter, his parents, and his siblings.

His wife offered a small smile, glancing at the ajar door where the twins slumbered. She lowered her voice. "I thought about it," she said, frowning down at the untouched delicacies. Daedalus had insisted on fasting to remain "pure" to meet the Eternal Radiance, Domi had refused to eat, and Valens had ended up with no appetite. "But someone has to stay. The Rex needs to believe he has his leverage."

Valens gritted his teeth, glaring at the fists clenched in his lap. "You've heard, then?"

Arbita nodded, sinking into a chair beside him. "Yes. I'm his 'honored guest' to ensure you play nice." She added, voice quieter. "And I'm the only one."

Valens's head jerked up. "The only one? What do you mean? The Princeps said--" She gestured for him to lower his voice and he continued in a soft hiss, "Daedalus said the Rex was taking several hostages. What--"

"They're not here."

"What do you mean? Were they sent to another location for confinement?"

She shook her head. "Aix and I smuggled everyone out the instant the Rex sent the Electi to arrest Domi," she whispered, and sadness swept over her face. "At least, most of them. Comitas, Fons, and Peritia refused to go and are now in custody. The rest were sent to Urbs Hostiae to hide." She hesitated. "But we couldn't find Merula, Radix, Sidus, and Edera."

Valens sighed. "They're probably already in custody."

"I don't think they are," she said. She unfolded the silvery gray cloth held in her arms and Valens blinked. A tunica? "I found this in Merula's bedchamber. Do you know what it means?"

Valens reached for it in confusion, wondering what meaning an article of clothing could possibly possess. Then he gaped and laughed for the first time in days. "Rolled up sleeve. Domi told me that he used to do this as a Pullatus when thieving. Merula's got a coin up her sleeve."

"Of course she does," Arbita said dryly.

"How did you get the others out?" Valens asked. He'd been so worried about Domi that he hadn't stopped to think about the danger the others faced, but Arbita was several steps ahead of him. "Where are they hiding in Urbs Hostiae?"

"It's best not to ask," she said with an uneasy glance at the door. "I asked them not to tell me where they're going or their plans, just in case I'm questioned."

Valens swallowed. The Rex had many resources at his disposal, even now. And Princeps Buccina had a near-infinite number of magical eyes. "They're going to get caught. The promenia--"

"Merula and Radix have no prometus for the promenia to sense," she said, "and Comitas used Domi's authority to unregister them in the Compendium. Same with the others. That can't be undone without them present." She shook her head. "The promenia won't be able to identify them. None of them exist."

"Thank the Eternal Radiance," Valens breathed in relief. For one of the few times in his life, he spoke the words with genuine gratitude. But then his heart fell. The others had escaped, but Arbita surrendered herself to the Rex. "But what about you? You should have run with the others." Now it was too late.

She met his eyes. "Do you remember what you said to me on our wedding day, Valens? You said you made vows and intended to keep them." She shrugged. "I didn't want this marriage at first and neither did you. But you've kept your vows and I intend to keep mine."