Chapter 16, Part B

They caught sight of the Restoration Tower at First Glare.

The instant the third planet appeared above the listing spire in the western sky, the voices plaguing Domi off and on for two hours grew constant. And deafening.

He gasped as the world fell away, leaving only the crimson Devouring Eyes dominating the diamond-specked heavens. The glaring trio thundered between his ears, their voices hissing like a billion snakes. You unchained us, Liberator.

"No." But he did. He knew he did. He destroyed the Trellis, and now the world had no protection from the Eyes, just as he had no protection.

"Aedificanti," he whimpered but could not hear his own voice.

His body lurched, and then before his face, Valens's urgent eyes bore into him. His aedificans's lips moved, but Domi could not make out a single word the older worldholder said.

You must finish what you started.

"N-no."

Valens clutched his face, trying to pull Domi's gaze from the sky, but his weak mortal eyes stayed riveted to the monstrous Eyes in the heavens no matter how much he wanted to look away. They loomed like red balloons over a shattered nightmare-scape of obsidian shards, golden cyclones, and distant swarming clivias.

Destroy it all. End this new world.

He pressed his palms over his ears atop Valens's mittens, shaking his head frantically in his aedificans's grip. "No!"

The voices could not be shut out. End it, or we will tear you asunder and fling what remains of you to the winds.

"Valens!" Domi wailed.

His aedificans's brow furrowed, amber gaze darting over Domi's shoulder. Then the man's hands fell away. The worldholder stepped aside, leaving Domi all alone with the three malign planets.

Your quest is hopeless, Liberator. We will never allow you to restore your golden cage.

Pressure on his shoulders. Something ruffled his hair.

This world belongs to--

The voices ceased.

Domi gasped as the world plunged into ringing silence. Then, gradually, sounds, real sounds, filled the emptiness. Heaving breaths--his breaths--and the irregular failing heartthrob of hunting clivias. His own heart hammered a desperate rhythm in his chest.

He blinked up into Aix's mahogany face as the old man grasped his shoulders.

"Did it work?" Valens asked, voice tense. He stood just behind the older worldholder, arms clutched over his chest. Behind him, Daedalus--who had dropped Buccina's illusion hours ago after they left the last remnants of civilization behind--fumbled fretfully in his sled, trying without success to rise.

Aix's gray eyes searched Domi's face, and then he smiled. "Yes, Alumna, I believe so." He gave Domi's shoulders a reassuring squeeze. "Right, young Erus?"

"Y-yeah," Domi managed. He glanced down, taking in the familiar sight of his wooden bulla dangling around his neck where it belonged. Relief rushed through him as he grasped the carved tri-hand. Suppressed again, he could not hear the promenia within, but faint heat from the amulet radiated through his mitten. He tried on a teasing smile. "T-took you long enough."

Aix chuckled, ruffling his hair. "Apologies, young Erus. I did not want to rush such and risk getting it wrong."

"Are you all right now, Brother?" Daedalus asked. He tried again to rise from the sled, good arm shaking. The journey here over icy hills and winding paths left Domi's body aching with echoes of his twin's fatigue and pain.