Chapter 15, Part B

"Come on," Domi said, looking his twin over as the two of them walked to the door leading from their bedroom to the private skychamber's common room.

Daedalus wavered on his feet as he followed but did not use the gold-leaf wall for support the way he had that morn. He was getting stronger little by little, and tension seeped out of Domi with each new improvement.

Domi reached for the doorknob, then stilled as a fragment of the muffled conversation on the other side drifted through the faux marble.

. "...don't know what to do."

Domi and Daedalus exchanged glances. The older twin shook his head, but Domi rose on his toes to peek through the tiny window.

On the other side, Valens and Aix sat adjacent to each other on two of the four divans in the common room, coffee goblets abandoned before them and promenia humming a low thrum around them as they helped the skychariot navigate.

Aix patted Valens's hand where it rested in a fist atop the corner table between them. "Just take it one day at a time, Valens. Provide as much support and structure as you can. That's what all children need, but especially traumatized ones."

Valens gritted his teeth. "I'm not good with kids." He grabbed his goblet and took a sip of the beverage.

"I think you're doing fine."

Daedalus glanced at Domi. "Perhaps we should go," he said in a low voice.

Domi did not want to go. It was weird to see Valens so uncertain. And he wanted to hear what else Aix would say. The two adults were talking about him and Dae, after all. They had a right to listen.

Amber eyes met his own through the glass and Domi froze. "If you're going to eavesdrop," Valens said dryly, "you might as well come in."

Domi offered a sheepish smile and eased himself off of his toes. He blushed under his twin's pointed look. "Come on."

Aix smiled and rose to his feet as the twins stepped into the room. He pressed a hand over his laurel.

Domi tensed. "Don't." Nausea churned in his belly at the reminder of the royal title he now bore in truth and how it had come to him. "Please."

Aix and Valens exchanged a look--the latter arched a brow--and the older man finally shrugged, lowering his arm. He nodded politely at Daedalus. "Basiluculus, you look better."

"Somewhat," Valens said, less impressed than the other man. He hadn't bothered to stand when Domi and Daedalus arrived but now he rose from the divan and frowned at the older twin. "Why aren't you in bed?"

Aix approached Daedalus and rested a hand on the illusory's girl's slender shoulder, nudging him to the divan opposite Valens. "He's well enough, young Aedilis. The crystal wouldn't allow him to rise if he wasn't ready. Still, Basiluculus, you should rest as much as possible." He glanced at Domi. "You as well, Basilicus."

That word. Domi crossed his arms over his chest and pretended the ache there was just an echo of his brother's injuries. "Please don't call me that," he choked.

"Nor me," Daedalus said, wincing as Aix guided him to sit on the divan. Between his broken ribs and arm, he seemed to have trouble lowering himself on his own without pain, but Aix soon had him situated, adjusting his sling. "I am a Principis Heres no longer." He swallowed hard. Domi hated that he was still so pale, and now more color faded from the female face he wore. "The world saw me burn."

"You will always be Domi's brother and your mother's son, Basiluculus," Aix said gently. He offered a sad smile. "But perhaps we can practice our Pyrrhaei identities. The skychariot attendants cannot see, erm, Daedala due to Princeps Buccina's aid. However, we might benefit from a little practice for when we arrive and that part of the illusion fades."