Chapter 1, Final Part

It wasn't even midday yet, and Valens was already trying to ruin Domi's life. Only this time, the older worldholder had roped Arbita and Merula into doing his dirty work for him while Domi's arse of an aedificans lounged atop a divan in the corner of the man's spacious tablinum office and browsed a book like nothing was happening.

"Please just try to look natural, Basiluculus," Bellus murmured.

The mindholder was staring at Domi's face with unfocused eyes, promenia singing around him as well as in a strange quill he was using to draw in the air before him. Where the nib passed, golden and black promenia trailed, sweeping into an arrangement that soon resembled Domi's face and shoulders, his black laurel, his short, wavy black hair, olive skin, and brown eyes and--

"Why do we have to do my debutant portrait now? I don't want to get engaged yet. And what if someone sees?"

Bellus was blending something the man had called obfuscation promenia into the painting to prevent anyone from drawing a connection between Domi's appearance and his royal twin's, but he didn't trust it. How could a thin smudge of humming glitter and smoke meddle with people's minds so easily?

"The point is for someone to see," Arbita said, smiling as Bellus added a hint of a wry smirk to Domi's lips.

"But why?" Domi asked, crossing his arms and then unfolding them again when Bellus cleared his throat. "And why now?" He flicked a glare Valens's way. "Just because you're in some weird hurry to wed doesn't mean you need to go and marry me off too."

"Your aedificans is not marrying you off," Arbita said in her oh-so-reasonable voice, exchanging an amused glance with Merula that had Domi narrowing his eyes. "Not yet. But you are a Principis Heres now. And even if you were not, you are a Lightholder. Next year you will be old enough to wed, and it is important we begin considering your options now to ensure that we can secure you a good marriage."

Domi cast Merula an entreating look. Surely she was not going to just sit by and let them do this to him. "Ma..."

She wasted no time in destroying his hope for a quick escape from this travesty. "Don't whine at me, Dominulus. You will need someone nice to look after you."

"Like you needed someone?"

She shook her head. "Boy, I may be called the Rex Pullati on the streets, but I am still a Pullatus. You know I can't wed."

He snorted. Even if she could wed, his foster mother had never let any of her lovers stay for more than a few months when he was growing up. As soon as one started asking too many questions about Domi's origins, she always sent the man packing.

"And," she went on, nodding in approval as Bellus filled in a little more texture in Domi's hair, "I may not be a Principis Heres, but I know enough about the weight of responsibility to know that you will be better off if you have someone to help you carry it."

"You are a wiser woman than I expected, Erus," Arbita said, eying Merula with surprise.

Oh, Eyes devour.

Domi's foster mother arched a brow, and the weight of her attention swung the lifeholder's way. "Why is that unexpected, Promerenti?" she asked. "Because I am a Pullatus?"

Arbita blinked and then blushed. "I meant no offense."

Merula was not done with her. Domi's foster mother had not even gotten started. "The Promethidae would be wise to remember that there are many wise, intelligent, and capable people among the Pullati. Your—"