Chapter 12, Final Part

Torches burned golden on the walls of the Ruby Palace's salutatio hall, setting crimson gems in mosaics and paenulas aflame. The flickering light made the headache pounding in Domi's skull peak, and he drew a soft hiss.

What was wrong with his twin? He'd felt sick and sore all night and this morning. In some ways, the discomfort was a relief. He'd hurt his brother, somehow, but the pain proved that Daedalus was still alive. For now. But what would become of him? What would become of them both?

Swallowing, Domi peeked up at the pair of Electi who escorted him. But they parted before him and stood at rigid attention on opposite sides of the towering double doors. Both refused to meet his eyes.

No one but Valens simply looked at him, now, and his aedificans had been left cursing back in their fancy cell, leaving him alone. Everyone Domi had passed on the way from the dungeon either glared, stared or avoided his eyes.

He didn't blame them. He hated himself too. His chest felt full of lead, breathless whenever his thoughts shifted to what he had done. He would never be able to look someone like him in the eye if the situation was reversed. He'd want to hurt them.

The herald bellowing his brother's name made him jerk, blinking as every Lightholder in the salitatio hall turned to look his way. Eyes descended on him, fire and ice, the gazes like stones pressing him down.

He stared at his stupid jeweled slippers. He should be barefoot and shackled like he'd been once when the city watch caught him stealing and dragged him to the forum for a caning and time in the stocks. Instead, the Electi had Valens dress him like a Princeps for this audience.

"Salutatio is concluded until this afternoon," the Rex's deep voice rose from the opposite end of the long chamber. Domi, studying his feet, could not see his elderly monarch, but he could feel the power radiating from the royal starholder, a halo of majesty that made the boy want to throw himself on the marble floor and beg for mercy. "Clear the hall."

The departing Lightholders gave Domi a wide berth, circling him like he was a venomous snake as they passed. One worldholder spat at him, and the Electi were on her in an instant, escorting the woman from the chamber with stern growls.

"Princeps Daedalus, step forward," the Rex commanded as the hall's golden doors swung shut behind the last of the Lightholders. "Princeps Buccina, record this interrogation for archiving."

Domi made himself walk down the long hall, flanked by massive marble columns. Crimson sunlight streamed between the pillars, transforming the columns into looming giants awash in blood.

A blue gleam caught his eye; an unfamiliar woman stood at the base of the dais, sapphire glowing around her collarbones. Scars ravaged one side of her face. "Yes, Augustus," she said, and a humming distortion gathered around her. It settled atop her like a second paenula and then expanded to fill the whole hall with a faint, watery iridescence. "The promenia shall now recall today's proceedings."

"Very well," the Rex said, and Domi tore his eyes away from the unfamiliar mindholder and forced himself to look up at the ruler of all Aquarius. The Rex's ancient face seemed carved of polished mahogany, no hint of any of the warmth the man had shown Domi in their weekly meetings. "We now begin the interrogation of Princeps Daedalus Adurere." He inclined his head to the mindholder. "Princeps Buccina, verify that Princeps Daedalus's mind has not been tampered with in any way."

"Yes, Augustus."

Domi frowned as the mindholder approached, pale, green-eyed, and strawberry blond no longer. She appeared no younger or older, but the terrible scars half-hidden under dark hair made her look tired and ill.