Chapter 8, Part A

"Our Holy Ovidiana contains contradictions and variations that are interesting from a theological as well as linguistic standpoint. It is said that the Eternal Radiance gave us our ability to speak and our noble language with our first breath; we inhaled the sacred light of creation and exhaled the words of Antiqua Latina, the language of the Divine Light. In time, it became our modern Nova Latina.

Yet in the earliest copies of the Holy Ovidiana, we find traces of several earlier versions of Antiqua Latina and evidence that some of our primordial vocabulary was composed of loan words of unknown origins. Instead of a gift from the Eternal Radiance, I believe Antiqua Latina was a construction of the Ancients, though for what purpose I am unsure. And there is evidence that this construction may be recent, perhaps within the past 1,500-2,000 years."

-- from Holey Holies
out of A Garden of Fragrant Heresies

*~*~*~*

Birdsong and the soft rattle of frozen branches filled the Caeles-woven peach orchard. For a long moment after Daedalus's brother finished his tale, they were the only sounds heard.

The older twin waited in sad silence, sensing that his brother still had more to say.

A mild, chill breeze brushed him, and tiny snowflakes kissed his cheeks. The wind tasted faintly of sugar-dusted peaches in the back of his throat as he breathed it in. It was likely Domi's contribution to the mental environment. His twin had managed to conjure up an ice-crusted peach from an otherwise barren bough, though the illusory fruit rested, forgotten, between Domi's fingers.

At last, the younger twin swallowed hard and then inhaled a shaky breath. "So, do you hate me?" he asked in a quiet voice, staring down at the iced peach. He had not looked up once as he had talked about the Rite of Six and Thirty Days.

"Why would I hate you?" Daedalus asked gently, confused.

Domi had not looked like he could wilt more atop the bench where they both sat, but now he proved Daedalus wrong as he hunched over, still not looking at his twin. "Your mother took her own life so Buccina wouldn't find out about me. Wouldn't find out I'm your twin."

Daedalus needed to put an end to these spiraling thoughts before they got the better of his brother. "No, Domi, our mother died to hide that we are twins. You bear no more blame for our birth than I do. Thus no, I do not hate you. I feel somewhat relieved, in fact."

His brother peeked up at him at last. "Relieved?"

Daedalus nodded. "I had believed that she must have been in great pain before she died. Great mental anguish. It comforts me to know she was not suffering so. She did not succumb to despair but instead defied Buccina until the end."

"I wonder though if Buccina would do anything against us." Domi chewed his lip. "I met her. She seems nice."

"Nice?" Daedalus shook his head. "She is manipulative and intrusive. Do not trust her. Mother never did."

"I won't. I trust no Lightholders." At last, his twin's lip quirked in a small smile. "Present company excepted of course."

Daedalus chuckled at that. And at the news he had received from Ardea that morn. "There is at least one other Lightholder you trust," he teased, lifting his brows. "I heard some interesting news. You and Sidus are official now."

Domi smiled. "Yeah, it's listed in my debutant portrait--well, your debutant portrait--and everything." He rubbed the back of his neck. "You Promethidae are so weird, by the way. I can't believe people actually tell potential spouses whether or not they have lovers they intend to bring into a marriage."