Chapter 9, Final Part

The young Princeps was still fast asleep when Festra entered his royal bedchamber to refresh the coals in the brazier and open the black velvet curtains to let the crimson pre-Brightening sunlight into the room.

She was fortunate. The young royal's usual attendant, Radix, had been banished from his presence for some reason. Tacita said for impertinence but Ubertas said the redhead had been reassigned as Aedilis Aix's assistant.

Whatever the reason, Festra had reaped the benefit. Her rank had already risen five points in the Compendium. Two more, and she could recommend her son for a position in the palace gardens. At ten, it was high time the boy start earning his keep. Everything cost more here in Vola Apertus, especially with the recent disasters driving up food prices.

Sighing, she stroked one of the promenia lanterns on the wall, her touch coaxing the mysterious magic within to greater brilliance. Erus Fons said that light was important in the morn, as it would help gently wake the Princeps and remind him of the light of the Trellis. As he woke, so too would the world, Brightening arriving with the boy's return from royal sleep.

Curtains tied back, she placed her basket of coals by the brazier and tilted her head as something caught her eye. Curls of half-charred paper rested amid the cold ashes. Next to the brazier, she spotted a torn sheet of stationary, filled with an elegant script.

She should not have read the words, but she could not help herself. "Your doe eyes haunt me," she whispered, a thrill of delight working its way up her spine. A royal romance? "I can wait for you no longer, Edera."

The word "doe" had been written above another word, "beautiful", that had been crossed out. A draft of a love letter? A prepared speech? She knew not, except that one thing was clear: The Princeps was smitten with someone.

But who was this Edera?

<>

Navus paused on the threshold to the royal tablinum as a voice rose within. Erus Comitas.

"Princeps Buccina, I did not know that you were coming, or I would have made arrangements to welcome you."

The elderly man frowned. He was supposed to set up a spread of snacks for the Princeps to enjoy after the young royal's morning lessons, not more formal fare to entertain a royal guest. Erus Fons had not mentioned there would be a visit from one of the other Principia today.

"Forgive me for the lack of warning, Erus," Princeps Buccina's gentle modulated voice said. "I came as soon as my schedule cleared after I heard the news. Please tell me it is not as bad as it sounds."

Navus shifted uneasily from foot to foot. He should not remain here, lest he be accused of eavesdropping. And he needed to fetch more suitable fare for a royal diplomatic visit. But he could not help the curiosity washing through him.

What was the bad news?

"I... It is worse, Basilicus," Erus Comitas murmured. Her voice dropped. Navus could barely make out her words. "I assume that you have heard about the girl?"

"Indeed."

"The Praetoris Heres has already arrived."

"Already?" the Princeps repeated, displeasure in the normally soothing tone Navus heard in the observances and state speeches.

"Yes, Basilicus. The Electi tried to stop the girl at the gates due to the Rite of Solitude, but--"

"No excuses, Erus." Princeps Buccina's rising voice dropped to a tense murmur. "How did these two plot something like this without any of you the wiser?"