A Friend or a Trouble?

My thoughts were interrupted by a phone call, I was startled to see the same mysterious call, I was just too scared to pick up the call but finally decided that whatever it may be, I must face it.

"So, what have you thought? Are you still going to poke your nose in other's matters?" the voice sent chills down my spine and my heart beat as if it would burst out any moment, still controlling myself I said in a voice of fear, "Wh......who, who ar......, who are you?"

There was utter silence on the other side, but then suddenly came a heartfelt laughter as if echoing, the man replied "Oh man! You were so scared, I would have continued with it but your voice made me burst out into laughter!"

"No, no, no, you can't do this. Karthik! I nearly got a heart attack, if you were here, I would have strangled you to death!"

"Okay, let's fulfil this wish of yours too." This was just unbelievable, he was standing right there in front of me with my landlady laughing at my reaction. I did not know how to react, there I had in front of me my childhood buddy, a person who irritated me the most but still was my only confidant, yet I forgot everything as soon as I saw him smile, I could not forgive him for this prank. Taking out the cardboard cutter from the pen-stand I ran after him. When I was at a good distance from him he would laugh out loud but become careful and afraid as I would be nearer. But as always, I couldn't catch hold off him.
After five minutes of reckless shouting and running throughout the house I was we both jumped over the sofa. Karthik was still far from me, the landlady looked at us in disbelief. She had always seen me as a graceful, sophisticated and sweet young lady but she was shocked at this behaviour of mine. It was only Karthik who could take this avatar of me out of myself.

The sweet old lady got us some water which I took thanking her still having the cardboard cutter in my hand. "Even you need a psychiatrist, those innocent patients of yours are in great danger." He mocked at me. "You know what, you were lucky enough that I am very kind hearted otherwise I would have surely killed you."

Why was Karthik here? Oh, it's a very simple question, to irritate me more than ever. The last time I saw him was when we passed school. He then went to Mumbai to become a RJ and I always knew that he would because the level of energy RJs require was inborn within him. Since then, I heard of him only through my father, by God's grace neither of us had each other's contact number so my life was peaceful and now that he has returned, I knew that I would have to get used to such pranks and mini heart attacks. Still, he is the only friend I have had since then and his arrival during this time really made me feel nice.

"Hey, madam! Where are you lost, oh yes, I know you might be thinking what am I doing here and how did I find you. Isn't it?"

"Well, I was thinking 'why' did you find me."

"Oh, come on, I know you and yes, I didn't try finding you, I didn't even remember you lived here, actually I am also a PG here."

"What! You are not kidding me." I stared at him in disbelief. My landlady nodded in agreement and said, "He insisted a lot, I couldn't say a no."

"Hmm... you know let me tell you the entire story. So, I was transferred to Vishakhapatnam and I came here. I cannot do even a single household work by myself just like you so I also looked for a PG again, just like you. When I was doing the same, I saw you coming here and requested Mrs. Shankar to take me in too and she agreed after a lot of begging. I had to move in today so two days ago I called you from my private RJ no. so that my prank becomes successful. But I didn't know you were such a silly-willy." While he spoke, I was cursing my fortune. Already I was dealing with so many things and now I had this icing on my cake. 'God save me!' I whispered. "So, are you not going to your studio now?"

"No, nowadays I am on my paid leave."

"And may I know what are you going to do in all these days?"

"Yes, sure, for a week I will come with you to your clinic and after that we will go for sightseeing."

"And you really think I am going to allow that?"

"Yes, after all you are my best friend." I don't know what struck me as I heard 'best friend', I got Amla and Vishal into my head. Karthi noticed it, but before he would speak anything my phone rang continuously without even stopping for a second. Karthi looked at the phone and said, 'Vishal, here.' He gave me the phone and as soon as picked it up I was shocked to hear that tremble in Vishal's voice. He asked, 'Is anna with you, did you see him lately?'. I just couldn't understand anything and said,'no, but why? Vishal, are you okay? Where are you, please speak you are making me afraid now. Vishal, Vishal, speak, speak!'
'Anna went somewhere last night and has not returned yet.'