THE ATTACK

"He has got another attack, come fast, or he is gone!", Ketan's voice had more panic and horror than usual as he called me up at ten that morning. It was the time when the clinic was more busy than usual and moreover, it was Sunday. I was afraid that if I would leave the clinic, it would surely test the patience of my patients who already lacked normal thinking. However, I could not leave Sameer in this condition, this time he would surely commit suicide if I don't reach on time. Last time his mother Mrs. Roy had handled him but her death was a more severe blow on him. Seeking for my keys I tried to emotionally blackmail my patients that the aunt whom I loved the most in the world was dying. I pinched on the correct nerve. Everyone left showing concern for my aunt. This non-existent aunt had always helped me with such emergencies.

It was nearly 11:30 when I reached the Roy Mansion. I hated this place. As soon as I always entered the house, negative energies would surround me. The otherwise magnificent mansion which was purely bathed in white, with trees and a big garden, a fairy over the fountain, beautifully done indo-western architecture, huge doors and windows; was now full of cracks and no one ever knew when the mansion would demolish. Ever since I came to Vishakhapatnam the story of this house had by some way or the other entered into my ears but this story became more vivid when Mrs. Roy told me about it.

I was welcomed in by the most hostile Mrs. Madhu, into the house. She was always in a bad mood, which depressed me more. On reaching I saw a fatigued Ketan lying over the locked door of his brother's room.

"Where's Mr. Sameer?", I asked.

"He must have been dead till now! Where were you, I had called you at ten and you are reaching now.", his big eyes, red with anger and sorrow actually froze me with fear. I thought he would kill me.

Gathering myself up I said, "Relax, Mr. Roy, my clinic had a flood of patients, still I started off at 10:15. It takes two hours to reach here, but I drove so fast to reach here on time. I actually broke three signals." Though his anger partially faded away but sorrow remained.

"He's not opening the door, neither is he replying", I wanted to comfort him but it was high time. Knocking softly at the door I said, "Mr. Sameer" no reply.

"Mr. Sameer, please, at least reply, Mr. Sameer!"

"Just get out! All of you, get out! I will either kill you or myself." At least, this meant that Sameer was fine. But, this didn't mean that it was something to be happy about. Today Sameer's voice was more like a roar. His anger and extent of madness could be estimated by his voice itself. I asked Ketan to call everyone who was at home.

"Has he taken his medicines today?" I asked Ketan taking out one of the strongest nerve-tonic from my bag.

"No, he locked himself before that, actually he locked himself because of that."

"Ok", again reaching to the door, I said.

"Mr. Sameer, you know we have found out a clue for Aasha." As far as I knew Sameer, I had already estimated his reaction. He turned to a wild animal when someone talked of his beloved sister and his anger became beyond measure and this is what I wanted so that Sameer at least in his anger steps out of the room.

"You are lying!" he cried.

Ketan said softly "Even if she is, do you want to miss a chance to see Aashu again."

This was time, I asked everyone to be alert. The door sprang open and out came Sameer like a tiger reaching out for his prey but I was also ready. As soon as he sprang upon me, I injected the nerve tonic in him. In the next ten seconds he was unconscious. Everyone picked him up with great efforts. He was thin and tall like a bamboo but had immense strength. Only I know how did I survive for these ten seconds when a powerful maniac was trying to kill me.