Weird bands

In India, when a patient is taken to a hospital, a white wristband is placed on their left hand.  These wristbands carry the patient's name and information.  When a patient dies, a red bandage is tied on their right arm and taken to the morgue.

  A young doctor was working the night shift in a specialized hospital in India.  It was around 2 pm when he finished his last operation.  He was on the 5th floor and pressed the lift button.

  The doctor was tired after a long day and was waiting for his shift to end.  There was silence in the hospital at two o'clock in the afternoon.  Most of the patients were asleep and many nurses had already gone home.

  He entered the lift and there was only one more person.  While getting down the lift, he casually talked to the woman.

  The elevator stopped at the basement and the door opened.  He saw an old man standing in a white gown.  The old man was about to go inside when the doctor suddenly slammed the lock button and punched the button on the 5th floor.

  "Why did you do that?", asked the surprised woman.

  "I've had a lot of operations", replied the doctor.  "I've seen a lot of people die. When a patient dies, a red wristband is put on their arm.

  The woman was silent.

  "You saw it, didn't you?" said the doctor.  "That old man... that old man had a red wristband on his arm."

  "A red wristband...", said the woman, raising her right hand.  "You mean like this?"