Vanishing traveller

A boy and his friend were on their way to a college prom dance, driving down a deserted country road.  He saw a young woman standing on the side of the road with her thumb out.  The boys stopped to ask her if she would like to ride.  He asked them if they would take him home but they told him that they were going for a dance.

  He asked the girl if she would also like to come and she accepted their invitation.  So they all got into the car and she sat in the back seat.  It was a very cold night and he had borrowed one of his overcoats.

  They danced all night and when it was late, he asked them to take them home.  So they went to his house by car, and stopped and let him go.  Suddenly one of the boys remembered that he had forgotten to ask for his overcoat.  His friend said, "Wait till tomorrow. Welcome again".

  The next morning the boys returned in search of the girl.  They found his mother, a very old woman, at home.  He said that the girl was his daughter, but it had been 12 years since he was dead.  He was killed in a car accident in the same corner.  The old woman pointed to a graveyard down the road.

  The boys did not believe him and they went to the cemetery and looked around.  Then he saw the overcoat draped over a headstone.  Carved in the tombstone was the name of the girl and the date of her death was exactly 12 years ago today.