XVII: HANG OUT

"Good morning," Ava greeted Aria as she walked in to get her hair and makeup done.

"Morning, did you sleep well?" Aria asked.

"As well as I could. I'm too excited to get a full night sleep."

"I get that. Honestly, I slept like a baby. If it wasn't for my alarm I think I'd sleep through the day."

Aria and Ava laughed as the makeup artist did Aria's makeup. It was a normal makeup look. The zombies didn't come out until the second episode, so the first episode and first day of filming would probably be pretty chill.

After filming a few scenes, Aria, Ava, Jenna and Malia had a break. "How are you guys settling in?" Jenna asked.

"Great," Ava said, "I kind of miss my friends, though. I haven't been away from them for so long since we met."

"Same. I could barely stay away from them for a week on vacation, let alone two months," Aria laughed.

"It'll all be worth it though, right? I mean, your friends seem to be really supportive of you, Aria," Malia said.

"They are, especially Tristan. I think he's Lind of jealous of you and Jenna, though," Aria laughed.

"Who wouldn't be?" Ava said. Aria looked at her funny. "Kidding." The four girls laughed.

After their break, they went straight back into filming. Malia and Aria had to film a kissing scene, which Ava seemed to he watching very closely. Aria didn't notice it in the moment, but the look on Ava's face said a lot. She wasn't kidding about being jealous.

 She wasn't kidding about being jealous

They'd been filming for two weeks. Malia's character had already died, but she still hung out on set a lot with Ava, Jenna and Aria.

They wrapped up filming early-ish one day, and Ava and Aria decided to hang out off set, which they hadn't done yet.

"How've you been holding up?" Ava asked.

"Good," Aria said, "Why do you ask?"

"Being away from your friends for so long. I mean, I'm away from my friends, too, but I'm nowhere near as close with them as you are with your group, not to mention Tristan."

"Oh, well, I guess it's upsetting. I've been here for two weeks and I've only had the time to call Tristan three times. I feel bad for him."

"I'm sure he's fine. I mean, you guys are a strong couple, right? If he believes that, he won't let it get to him."

"You're right. He hasn't said anything about it. Maybe he's not bothered by it."

"He shouldn't be. He knows you love him, right?"

"Right." Aria's phone went off. She looked down at the notification. "Speak of the devil. He's asking to call me."

"I don't mind if you do. We can hang out some other time," Ava said.

"No, no, it's fine. I'll just text him back."

private messages

TRIS☀️
hey!
missing u more than ever
can you call?

ARIA🪐
i'm sorry i'm hanging with ava
rn☹️
later tho?

TRIS☀️
okay!
i'll see you later
i love you

ARIA🪐
ly!!

Aria turned back to Ava. "Done. So, how've you been doing? I feel like whenever we hang out on set all we talk about is me. I feel like I know nothing about you."

"Honestly, there's not much. I'm kind of boring. I did get cheated on one time. I don't let that get to me, though. She was a bitch," Ava said.

"She?"

"Yeah, I'm bi. I think that's the most exciting thing about me, to be honest," Ava got up and headed towards the fridge, "I'm hungry. Do you want anything?"

"Can I just have a water?" Aria asked.

"Okay," Ava furrowed her brows. She thought for a second, noticing she'd never seen Aria eat. She ignored it, figuring that she ate alone. She got herself a chocolate bar and handed Aria a water.

"So, what do your parents think about your acting?" Aria asked.

"They're really proud. They were a bit confused at first, when I auditioned. I'd never shown an interest in it before, now I'm eighteen and super passionate about it. It was kind of sudden for them, I guess, but they're supportive. You?"

"Oh, my mom was excited. She helped me with my auditions and stuff. I've wanted to do it since I was a kid, but obviously didn't get into it until The Black Phone. I auditioned when I was fifteen."

"And your dad?"

Aria shrugged. "No idea where he is. He left when I was thirteen, kind of lead to a huge downward spiral. I'd go to random house parties and-" Aria stopped herself, "And I'm just realising I've never told anyone that. Ignore it. But, yeah, he doesn't exactly have an opinion on it. If he does, I have no way of finding out what it is."

"Oh, I'm sorry Ari," Ava reached out and held Aria's hand, rubbing it with her thumb.

"It's fine, I don't care much now. Getting the role in The Black Phone pulled me out of that hole, I guess," Aria looked at the time, ten pm. "God, not to sound like a bore but I'm so tired. I think I'm gonna head back go my own trailer, but we should hang out again some time."

"Okay," Ava said, "Goodnight, Ari!"

"Goodnight!"

Aria flopped down on her bed, falling asleep straight away

Aria flopped down on her bed, falling asleep straight away. She'd completely forgotten she promised to call Tristan.

private messages

TRIS☀️
hiii
can you call now?
ari?
you must be asleep
sweet dreams!
i love you🫶🏻🫶🏻