Chapter 48 - Recieving Understanding

"What do you mean 'because of me'?" I asked Rachel, as we sat on the park bench.

"Bradie, there is a lot of explaining to do," Rachel answered, looking down at the ground.

"Yeah, sounds like it."

"Millie made a mistake," she started to say, "a pretty big mistake."

"Which was?"

"She overheard something, a year or so ago. She overheard you and Jackie Groenen talking one day at training, when you both thought you were alone." Was this what I thought it was? Was Rachel alluding to what I thought she was?

"Rachel..."

"She didn't mean to do what she did. I know she didn't."

"What did she find out?"

"She found out that you were Willow Meyer, a lot earlier than everyone else did."

"Why didn't she say anything to me?" I asked.

"I really don't know."

"What happened next?" I asked, angry but not mad.

"She kept it to herself," Rachel said, "for a long while. Until..."

"Until...?"

"Until the world got the best of her. Until her anger with life overcame her love."

"Shit."

"I know she didn't mean it. I know she didn't. It was a stupid mistake, and that malice was not who she is."

"So, why did you break up with her then?"

"She isn't the right person for me," Rachel said, "even though it was a mistake. Even though she didn't mean it, I don't take things like that lightly. Brads, for a long while, you were one of the closest people in my life, I loved you like a friend. I don't take betrayal lightly."

"You're doing that for you then, right? You broke up with her because you wanted to right? Not for me?"

"I broke up with her," Rachel started to say, "because I can't be with someone who I don't trust, and that act of haste, isn't something I take lightly." I nodded my head, not knowing what to think. Not really knowing how to respond.

"Anyways, why were you here?" Rachel asked, standing up and about to head off.

"To talk to Indi."

"Indi's a popular girl right now," Rachel said, laughing slightly.

"I guess she is. Is she okay at the moment?"

"She's good," Rachel replied, smiling softly, before walking off, allowing me to sit with my thoughts, digesting what I had just heard. It was Millie. Millie Turner exposed my secret. I realised that, if anything else had happened, if it had turned out differently, my reaction would be a stark contrast. I would've been angry. I would have been spiteful. But, right now, all I feel is hurt. Hurt that someone I thought was a friend would do that. Maybe she had a reason. Maybe there is something else that I am not getting told. Maybe Rachel had it all wrong. But, I knew, deep down, that this was the truth, unless I tried to convince myself otherwise.

I headed upstairs to Indi, and as I knocked on her door, a smile appeared on her face.

"Hey," she said, welcoming me in, "this is a nice surprise."

"I wanted to see you. I haven't in a while."

"I know," Indi answered, "it's been forever."

"How have you been?" I asked her, as I watched her pour two cups of tea.