Chapter 44 - The Euros

AUTHORS NOTE (07/06/2023)
Beware that this was written nearly a year before the actual euros took place and the winners and losers in the story may be different from what happened in reality

When we left Mexico, I went straight back to England. Not only was pre season about to get under way, but I had a European championship to watch. Jackie and her Dutch team had made it to the semi finals, and there was no doubt that I was going to be there watching her.

I texted her as I landed in London, as I was making my way to the Netherlands Vs Sweden match.

Bradie: guess who's coming to ur game today ;)

Jackie: I wonder who...

Bradie: find me after

Jackie: already was going to

Butterflies flew around in my stomach as she said this, reigniting the feeling I knew I wasn't making up: Jackie liked me and I liked her.

"You all good?" Kristie said to me, as we were getting our bags at baggage claim.

"Yeah, perfect," I said, "who's getting us?"

"Indi and Sam, I think," Kristie replied.

"Aw, I haven't seen Indi in ages," I added.

"Neither. I miss the baby." We often called Indi the baby, just because she is so young. Still only 21.

As we walked through customs, I saw Indi waving at us.

"Hey!" She said, running up to us both, "congrats on that win! I saw what you both did: you, Brads, drawing the foul and you, Kris, scoring off the PK. Incredible!"

"I forgot how much you talk, Inds," I laughed.

"Ha ha!" She said, coldly but with a smile, "come on, let's get some food. We have a game to wait for!"

I ended up leaving Kristie and Indi after food to go visit Ella and Alessia in the English camp. They had a few hours off before they were set to get ready for their match. They saw that I was back in England, and wanted to catch up.

When I arrived at the hotel, the security were confused as to why an American sounding girl wanted access to the English camp. Thankfully, Ella came out and found me.

"BVD!" She said, running over to give me a hug.

"Hey," I said back to her, "you have been sublime so far for the tournament."
"Thanks," she said, smiling, "Less is coming down too. She'll be here in a minute."

"Do I spot an American?!" I heard someone with a very northern english accent shout. I turn around and it's Rachel. Before Rachel and Kristie broke up, we spent a lot of time together. We had Mewis Christmas' together and, along with Kristie, Indi, Sam, and Pat, would always be with one another.

"Rach!" I said, going up to her, "how have you been?" She wrapped her arms around me, and smiled.

"Not bad, not bad," she answered, "what about you?"
"Ah, it's been slightly crazy recently."
"Yeah, I can imagine. I have been reading the news."

"That's a first," I joked with her.

"How do you guys know each other?" Ella asked, after witnessing our entire conversation. I thought about how I would answer this, knowing that Millie was Ella's friend and Rachel's current girlfriend, but not wanting to lie, in any sense of the word.

"Well-" I was about to say, before Rachel stepped in.

"My ex is Bradie's best friend's sister."
"Jeez," Ella said.