Chapter 7 - Before United

I played at the Thorns for all of my career before leaving for England. Portland was my home. It was where I made my connections, and built a life, for myself and for Emily. We were settled in Portland. Covid came, ruined a lot, and then I was left to salvage my career. I knew England was going to be a better opportunity than staying in a covid struck America.

The Thorns was an amazing experience. While I was there, I created so many tight friendships. One of them was Hayley Raso. Hayley arrived at the Thorns when I did. We were both new to the team, and really bounced off each other. She was Australian, and had just moved over to start pushing her career to new heights. I was in awe of her. She was an amazing, feisty, right winger, and we created a formidable connection in the attack.

When she started dating Juliette, I was happy for her. She needed someone who grounded her and kept her sane. Although they were long distance, Hayley would never stop talking about her.

"I miss her," Hayley said, once during training as we were about to start our season.

"I can't imagine having to do what you're doing," I replied, looking over at Emily.

"I just want to be with her all the time," Hayley answered.

"I know, you'll see her soon. When is she coming over?"

"Her season ends soon, and she will come over."

"That's so exciting!"

"I just hope this doesn't go for too long," Hayley said.

"What do you mean?"

"I don't know. I want us to be in the same country at least. Whether that means I go over there or something, I'm not sure..."

"Do not leave me!" I said, laughing.

"Don't worry, I won't. Not anytime soon at least."

When Ettie came over to Portland, I never met her. She was quiet and reserved, and didn't let any attention go towards her. She didn't want to be someone people saw. She just wanted to be Hayley's girlfriend, nothing more.

When they broke up, Hayley was devastated. She was so sad, and for so long. To add on top of that, Hayley soon broke her back. We were playing Washington, and an on field collision led to her fracturing three vertebrae. She returned to Australia, where she recovered. She never came back.

We stayed in touch. Of course we would. Hayley was someone I always wanted to be close with. She was my saving grace in a lot of times where I thought I couldn't handle the pressure. She was my definition of strength and courage in the face of adversity.

We were set to play Everton in the next round of the season, and that meant playing Hayley's new club. She joined Everton in the off season for a one season contract. I was excited to see her, and talk to her. Possibly catch up about old times.

When we arrived at the ground, Millie and I stayed together. We had gotten close over the past week, and although I felt slightly weird being friends with my friend's ex's new girlfriend, I knew the world was small. There was no one that didn't have a connection with anyone else.

"Feeling good?" Millie asked me, as we sat in the locker room.

"About the game?" I confirmed.

"Yeah."

"Pretty good. Hopefully we can bang in some good goals."

"If we have you, I'm sure we will." Millie was confident, and that made me smile. Whenever a teammate has an everlasting will in you, it makes you feel better. You feel as if you can conquer the damn world.