Chapter 36 - Domesticated

"What do you want for dinner?" I asked Jackie, as I stood up and went over to the kitchen.

"What is even in this house?" She asked back. I opened up the cupboard doors to find a stocked pantry, filled with an incredible amount of non-perishable items.

"Basically anything," I called back. I also checked out the fridge, which was filled to the brim with fruits, vegetables and meats.

"Do you want me to cook?" Jackie asked, walking over into the kitchen.

"I can do it," I answered, gesturing to her to sit back down. She ended up sitting on the barstool on the kitchen island, watching me as I got the food out to start cooking.

"What are you going to make?" She asked.

"It's a surprise," I answered, smiling.

"How are you feeling?" She asked me, as I was cutting the vegetables.

"I'm alright. You?"

"Same," she answered.

"I don't really know what to think," I added.

"It all happened kind of quickly," Jackie said.

"Yeah, and I want to do something. I want to help us get out of this situation, I just don't know how."

"Well," Jackie said, "let's look at this from the brightside. This is probably the best team bonding exercise someone can assign." I laughed as she said this, and she did too.

"Was this in Marc's plan?" I laughed.

"For sure," Jackie joked back.

I finished up our dinner, where I curated a weird concoction of vegetables, potato and some chicken.

"Smells great," Jackie said, smiling as I put the food down in front of her.

"Look bad," I laughed, "but I hope it tastes good." We both ate our dinner together, which was something we had never done before. We had never sat down like this, with food on our plates, eating together.

"Want to watch a film?" Jackie asked, after she had finished cleaning up.

"Sure," I answered.

"We're going to be going through a lot of films during this time."

"What else is there to do?" I laughed.

"Tomorrow, we should train."

"Do you reckon they have a ball in this house?" I asked.

"Possibly," she replied.

"We should find one."

"Let's make it a game," Jackie laughed.

"A game to see who can find a ball first?" I joked.

"Well," Jackie said, standing up, "I guess I'm going to win." She started opening up cupboards, and I ran after her. She checked the linen closet, and the baskets under the tv, while I went upstairs, looking in the bedrooms and other storage spaces.

"JACKIE?" I called out.

"YEAH?"

"DID YOU KNOW THIS HOUSE HAS AN ATTIC?" I soon heard footsteps coming up the stairs, and as she came onto the landing, she followed me up the ladder.

"Jeez, this house really is an American house," Jackie said.

"Look what I found," I said, walking over to the basket, in which I saw a bright, yellow ball. She came running up behind me, trying to get in front to secure the ball first. I pulled her back, not wanting to lose this stupid game.