Chapter 25 - First Half

The season started off quite well. City had a rough start, losing to teams such as West Ham and falling out of the Champions League. We knew this would be the season to take one of those top three spots. We knew that if City weren't in form, we had the opportunity to compete in Europe, for the ultimate prize. Chelsea and Arsenal were soaring ahead of most of the other teams, with both showing stellar form. Chelsea's loss to Arsenal in the first round of the season was unexpected but with Juliette Walsh's heart issues and then also Arsenal's great newfound form, it wasn't as crazy as we first thought.

Since coming back from the Olympics, and the craziness that spilled over into our short break, Jackie and I had been solid. We were going about our business as we normally would, training together and aiming to build the connection even more than it already was. Whenever my necklace was around her neck, something pulled me even closer to her. I know it sounds stupid, but that necklace has a special place in my heart. It is a reminder of my parents, but it wasn't mine, not anymore at least.

Whenever Jackie saw me looking at the necklace, I knew she felt bad. I tried not to let her catch me glancing at it, but something always drew me to it.

"Brads," Jackie said, one afternoon in the locker room, "please, take it." She unclasped the necklace from behind her neck, holding it out to me on her palm, but I shook my head.

"No," I replied, "I can't have any questions asked."

"No one is going to care," Jackie answered.

"I care," I said, "I care."

"Okay," she said, putting it back around her neck, "okay."

Leading into the Christmas break, we were in third position, with only Chelsea and Arsenal ahead of us. I knew I'd be going back to the US for Christmas, hopefully splitting my time between Sam and Emily. Emily came over to England in November, after the international break and it was amazing having her here with me. Since Lyon, it felt as if she was what settled my heart. She was the person I could rely on. I felt safe with her. I liked feeling safe with her, I think.

"Samantha!" I said over facetime, the day before I was heading back to the US. Emily left a few days before me, as she was going to see her family in Georgia while I was flying into Boston.

"Yes, BVD?" Sam asked.

"Better get excited to see me!" I said, smiling.

"Of course I am excited. I will be having you, other Sam and Krotch all in my house. It'll be a little reunion!"

"What about Indi?" I asked.

"Indi is going to be in Holland with Jill, I think," Sam replied.

"Little poop!" I said, sarcastically.

"Well she is in a stable and loving relationship with a Dutch girl, so I wasn't too surprised."

"Hey! I'm in a stable and loving relationship and I still have Christmas with you!"

"Well, Brads, you're just built differently," Sam said laughing.

"I guess I am," I answered, laughing too.

I soon left Manchester, and arrived in Boston. When I saw the snow on the ground, and the leaves fallen from the trees, I knew I was back where I belonged. Before seeing Sam, I did my traditional trip to Peter and Josie's. I know they deserve more than seeing me once a year, but seeing them, just reminds me of everything I lost. Of everybody I lost. 

"Bradie," Josie said, smiling as she opened the door, "my sweet girl." She gave me a hug, wrapping her arms around me. What I love about Josie is how much she looks like Mom. Her big brown eyes and ash hair are almost identical to Mom's. Josie and Mom were sisters, and were always close. But when Mom joined the CIA, and went undercover, they lost that connection. She was too focused on her work, and raising me, and keeping that relationship with Dad, that family became too much. Josie always looked out for her though, and I could tell. I got letters every birthday and Christmas, and Josie always made me feel welcomed. When Mom and Dad died, Josie was the first person to help me, but sometimes it wasn't always the way I needed help.