Chapter 38 - Together

"Harry," I said, over the phone, "we might have found something." I was sitting beside Jackie on the couch, looking at her, while on the phone.

"Care to enlighten me?" Harry questioned.

"Something is in Oosterpark."

"Something?" Harry questioned.

"I'm not sure what," I said, "but that's a start."

"Bradie, you need to use your words."

"My Uncle told me that my dad spoke to him before he died. Dad said that it was all in Oosterpark. Maybe you could find something there?"

"In Amsterdam," Harry said.

"Yes, in Amsterdam." I talked with Harry for a few more minutes, telling him everything that we had come to realise. Before we hung up the phone, Harry assured me that he would look into it, and that it was one of the strongest leads they had.

"But now, Bradie," Harry said, "you have to trust me. You need to stay put. There's nothing you or Jackie can do now."

"Ok," I replied.

A few days went by and I started getting restless. The vibe in the house had been unusual, to say the least. Jackie and I were becoming routined, and it was as if we were engaging in the same tasks, everyday. But, something about being with Jackie made it all alright. It was as if, although we were living through a footballer's worst nightmare of confinement, we were together and that meant it was all okay.

"Hey," Jackie said, as we were sitting on the couch together, just before we were about to head up.

"Yeah?" I asked, looking at her. Our arms were resting on the couch, only a few centimetres separated our skin from touching.

"I know this whole experience has been shit," Jackie  said, her hand moving slightly closer, "but it's also been..." She started to trail off, but I knew what she was going to say. I knew how she felt.

"Me too," I said, "it's been like that for me too." I move my hand slightly closer, so our fingertips touch. Her big eyes are looking into mine, and something starts beating quickly in my chest. Something different. Something good.

"What are you thinking?" I said to her, our fingers now interlocking on the couch.

"Nothing," she said, looking away.

"Jackie," I then replied, scooching over, closer to her, so I now sat with only a few inches between us.

"There's a lot of things I'm unsure of in this world," she started to say, "but you're not one of them. I'm sure of you, Bradie. You're the most secure thing in this world, right now." I look at her, and place my hand on her cheek. I touch the side of her face, moving my hands to her hair and then neck. Her eyes closed as I did this, and something so beautiful about her was felt in my heart.

I kept looking at her, until her eyes slightly opened. She smiled as she saw me, and I then did something I didn't think I would do. I leant down, resting my forehead against hers. I closed my own eyes, breathing in her poppy scented perfume. She then placed her hand on my cheek, gripping my face, before placing a kiss onto my lips. Her lips were soft, and smooth, and the kiss was the same. There was no roughness in our touch. It was as if everything that had happened to us over the past month had disappeared and it was just her and me, fighting against this dark world together.

I soon broke away from her, not knowing what to think. Not knowing what any of it meant. She smiled a cheeky grin, and I couldn't help but laugh.

"What's that cheeky expression on your face for?" I asked her.