17. Feelings

***

Third Person P.O.V

The nights at Hogwarts were always delicate and euphoric. With the stars illuminating below onto the big beautiful castle, it was a sight for sore eyes. Few people knew how memorising it was when there was no astronomy class and all the inhabitants of the castle were fast asleep.

One was a teenage boy who went frequently to escape his tragic reality. It was a place to him that kept him safe and away from what he had to face at school, and at home. All the misery and suffering would fizzle away with just one glance at the stars.

Regulus Black.

A young reserved boy with a terrible life. Much so, a once semi-lonely girl brought a glimmer of hope and happiness to his sad upbringing. It felt right that they had met that one day. They seemed to just fill a void by sharing their deep thoughts without pity and just comfort. Regulus had no one before Delphie to share about his home life and his mixed-complicated views. And it felt like a ride down a new road for Dee. She loved Pandora, but she only understood her to a degree. The blonde didn't get as homesick as her friend did and could only soothe her to an extent.

This is why the fourteen-year-old wore a small smile as he heard the quiet footsteps ascending the tower. Delphina appeared, her eyes wandering around the room before with a blank face prior to landing on the small curly-haired boy replicating his smile. Only hers were much fuller and radiant. She dashed over, throwing her arms over his shoulder, hugging him tight and secure.

She plopped herself beside him, hesitantly letting her legs over the edge like the boy. They signed hello's as a frigid breeze wafted past, emitting goosebumps on her delicate skin and the little hairs raised on Regulus' arm. Dee dug into her abnormally large winter coat. The moonlight stuck upon a book, revealing the deep groves in the cover painted with gold as it shone in the dark of night.

There wasn't much to catch up on since their last letter was merely days before they boarded back to school and met again. Delphina would most definitely not bring up his time spent at home. She wouldn't be opening a scar of horror instead of digging deeper down to the bone. Sadness washed over her anytime she imagined how it was for him, with no one. If someone ever granted her a wish, it would be for him. Regulus. To have someone to adore him and love him for all his flaws and quirks, his little smile and intelligence. She'd wish to break him free from the chains of the Black family and take him to live with her and her mother.

Yet wishes like that don't get to happen when everything around them is so complicated, or wishes could work in different ways...

Regulus knew that if he asked about her ideal Christmas, he wouldn't be able to hide his deep, deep shade of green bottled tightly inside of him, he could barely stand reading it as he sat in his cold room on Christmas Day curled up next to his window. That realisation that while he was stuck in his dreary, cold house alone with no ounce of love or compassion even felt while Delphina was happily in her pleasant, cozy flat, smiles shared from mother and daughter as the affection and pure bliss radiated throughout the air severely overcame him.

He couldn't help but feel jealous of what seemed to be her perfect life with a loving mother who cared about her more than anything. Reg wished his mother would show any sort of empathy towards him in affection, rather than words. Or someone who could shower him in unconditional devotion like Delphie had or James or Sirius.

The boy barely registered Dee's hand on his shoulder, gently shaking him out of his reflections. She held concern in her pupils, holding her thumb up to ask if he was good. Regulus remembered at that moment that Delphie only wanted to ever make his depressing life better and not to brag about her happy life at him. She had her own flaws; he knew from examining her.

"Okay, so... what is one thing you would like to be better at?" It took moments to think of a question to ask the boy that would intrigue him and try to take his mind off his home life.

Regulus stared into the sky, looking into the stars for help, accompanied by scratching his arm in hope of thoughts flooding in. "I want to be a better person, I don't want to be a wimp... I wish to do something useful" His voice faded at the end, and he drooped his head to shield his cowardly eyes from her.

Dee's petite weight slithered around his shoulders and chilling fingers ran delicately through his hair, gently pulling his head up to meet her eyes. A sympathetic yet refreshing smile is what the boy saw as he too moved his arms around her, a tight grip shared amongst the two scared and clueless teenagers.

Delphine tilted her head next to his ear, taking one deep breath in before her somewhat chapped lips parted, emitting the sound of an ethereal voice to Regulus Black. The voice and opinion he only cared about from then on spoke.

"Regulus Black, you will do remarkable things in your future. I just know it"

Word Count: 930