Chapter 9 - 3. Wet Canvas -

(3/3)
"DOLL IN DISARRAY"
EZRA'S POV:

Feeling a rush of panic, I wondered what to do with her. Without clear answers, I carefully lifted her from the car, grabbing her keys before settling her into the front seat of my car.

I thought to check her car for anything, but I didn't know how badly hitting a tree had affected her. So, I settled into the driver's seat and switched on the heaters, noticing her body still as a doll. She wore the same short, tight dress I last saw her in,
now wet and revealing every detail. Her messy makeup and wet hair added to the disarray.

Concerned about potential injuries, I had to inspect, partly to ensure she wasn't hurt and partly to spare her from the cold, wet clothes. Yeah, totally.

Sliding down her dress zipper, I paused before completely removing the dress, allowing her undergarments to dry with the car heater's warm air. Taking off my jacket and shirt, I fought against my own impulses, focusing on ensuring she wasn't externally hurt.

There were no recent bruises I could see, only closed wound marks,bullet wounds. Now, why the heck was she hit by a bullet?

Ignoring that, I put my shirt on her body, even though it wasn't the driest but better than her soaked dress. Brushing her hair from her face, I wiped her face with a cloth, her skin felt soft but cold as ice, though it would eventually warm up.

I took a turn from the road, knowing I couldn't take her back to the city hospital, they would ask too many questions I didn't have the answers for. I remembered how small clinics opened near this highway because of the regular accidents happening on this road, so I drove until I found one.

Around 15 minutes later, a hospital sign came into view, a small block building with no more than five rooms. Pushing aside my thoughts, I parked, carrying her inside.

The receptionist promptly called in nurses and doctors upon seeing us, directing me to Room 2.

As I laid Raelyn down on the thin bed, her hands tugged on my shirt. A strange, protective embrace overwhelmed me, holding her small body gently, the feeling unexplained and increasingly frustrating.

The nurses and a white-coated man, probably the doctor, quickly entered. The man questioned, "What exactly happened?" "Car accident," I replied, the nurse assuming another drunk driver, irritating me. "It's raining heavily," I stated, my voice colder than intended as I sat on the chair kept on the side of the room.

The nurse removed my shirt and took her necklace off which she handed to me, As the doctor tended to her bruises. I clenched my jaw as jealousy surged when he touched her skin.

The nurse then put a hideous white garment over her body. Even in that, her curves were visible.

The doctor forced her shut eyes open as he whispered to the nurse, who then handed him a tool.

I watched closely as he took something out of her eye,

a lens.
Blue-colored eye lenses.