11. A surprising turn of events

Eddie

I knew something felt different about tonight's performance. But nothing would have prepared me for the knock on the backstage door. It's been an hour since we have been off stage. A half hour since he left. And I'm still sitting here in shock. The other guys had already left when I heard another knock on the door. Calling out for them to come in, I see the face of the women I love.

"Eddie is everything ok?" She knows something is off. I'm usually out there to get her within fifteen minutes of wrapping up the set. I don't know how I'm going to tell her. Or even what this mean yet. I haven't even wrapped my head around it. Shaking my head and clearing my thoughts.
"Yea sorry. We should get going."
"Shouldn't you pack up the equipment?" She asks brows furrowed.
"The guys will get it. They will understand." I say standing and picking up my guitar. She will be coming home with me. I think best when I'm playing.

On the way home I try and think of a conversation to start. But my head could only think of one. I could tell she knew something was off. When she ran max home she gave me a concerned look before closing the door.
   Checking on Will in his crib in the room and he was sound asleep, his hair has gotten long  enough to see curls sprouting up . His curls slightly damp from sweat, so I turn on the fan and go to the living room. Picking up my guitar and start to go threw my scales. No matter how I pictured the rest of my life I was sure it wasn't this. This opportunity. Was it one she was willing to take with me. I couldn't imagine her and Will not beside me. But what would she say.
  Hearing the door open I lift my eyes to meet her green ones as she locks the door again.
"Ok talk." She says, her voice I couldn't quite place it. Was she mad?
"I know something is up. Your never this quiet and brooding." She had me there.

"A guy was at the performance tonight. Came back stage afterwards..." I say looking down at my fingers as the play across the frets.

"And..." she trails off.
"He is an agent for a record company in California. He wants to sign us."  Her jaw drops and smile Burst forth before it fades.
"Why don't you seem happy about this?" She questions.

" I am. Over the moon. Still in shock but..."
"But what." She comes and sits next to me placing a hand on my knee.
"I'm scared."
"Of what?" She pushes.
"I told you I would never walk away from you two." Her green eyes filling with tears, and heat stings at my eye. I can't stand to see her cry.
"But this is your dream." The silence filled the air for a good five minutes while I gathered my thoughts.

" You know, I wasn't there for his first breath but I was there for his first tooth, and his first word. "Dada" it hit me like a ton of bricks. In this tiny apartment. You looked terrified and on the verge of tears. I swept him up in my arms and hugged him. I haven't told anyone this but I wanted to cry too.  Because at that moment I knew. We don't share blood or even a last name. But that's my son and I don't want that to change. I know I wasn't there when he was born...but I never want to miss Saturday mornings, cereal and cartoons while you sleep in or him having a nightmare and crawling in bed with us, every runny nose and doctor appointments. You two make me a better person. I don't have to be his dad, it's my choice. But He's my boy. But you I never had a choice. The minute I saw you when I walked the record store. I was head over heels. I would do anything to see you smile at me. I knew I would do any to keep you from shedding any tears. Shield you from harm. And I couldn't see my life with out you. I still can't. I can't. I won't, do this with out you."  Looking into her eyes and watching a tear slip down her cheek. I fold my hand around hers.

"I'll only take this offer on one condition." I say leaning forward kissing her temple and whispering in her ear.
"Marry me." Leaning back and looking in her eyes, searching. She said it so softly I thought it was my imagination. Until she removed her hands from her lips and I could see her smile.

"Yes"