Chapter 45 - Memories

Jeongin woke up earlier than the others, who were all sleeping in various places around the apartment Minho had found for them. Everyone except Hyunjin, who needed to be publicly seen to be less suspicious, agreed to stay there for a few days to hide from Mireu and his gang of spies. He grabbed his phone from above his head to check the time.

07:05, 03/10

Jeongin mentally face-palmed for two reasons. First, he didn't like waking up before Chan. He had a hard time going back to sleep and enjoyed staying in Chan's embrace as long as possible. Second, he lost track of time so badly that he didn't get Chan anything for his birthday.

Sure, they had been caught up in some...distracting events lately, but that doesn't mean he should forget. Chan rarely remembered his own birthday, so Jeongin made it his mission to make him feel special each passing year. He snuggled back into Chan's right shoulder and pulled the blanket up under his chin.

"Can't sleep?" Chan whispered.

"Kinda." Jeongin pushed himself up to kiss Chan on the cheek.

"What was that for?"

"Happy birthday beautiful."

"Oh yeah..."

Jeongin chuckled at the elder's lackadaisical response. "Sorry I can't do something special for you."

"Having you here and safe is more than enough."

Chan pressed a long kiss to Jeongin's forehead, looking up from their makeshift bed on the floor. He turned to face his boyfriend, cupping his with one hand and placing the other on his waist.

"Remember the first birthday we spent together after we officially started dating?" Jeongin's hair sparkled in the sunrise streaking through the apartment window.

"Yeah..." Chan could picture it like it was yesterday.

2 years ago, New Fall:

Even though Chan had been friends with Jeongin for years, and they celebrated many birthdays together, he was particularly nervous for this one. It was his first birthday in a relationship. His favorite black hoodie was freshly washed, and he even bought himself some stylish black jeans for the occasion. Jeongin told him and his mom to meet him at this cafe on the edge of the forest outside of town.

His mom was there to help him get in.

Jeongin approached the bench the two sat on, and looked proudly down at Chan.

"Happy birthday, beautiful!"

"Stop it!" Chan blushed as he stood up to hug his love. "Not in front of my mom!"

"It's cute, Channie!" His mom said, looking up at her son's partner.

"I agree Mrs. Bang, he's adorable!"

"Please Innie, call me mom now, you two aren't breaking up at this point..."

"Mom!" Chan dug his head further into Jeongin's shoulder.

"You all have loved each other since Channie was your age, maybe even younger than that!"

"Can you just let me in now so you can go?"

You couldn't pay Chan at that moment to pry himself away from Jeongin. The embarrassment he felt was so overwhelming that he was convinced the only cures were hand holding and a hot cocoa. She graciously scanned her card after his, waving goodbye to Jeongin and giving him a mother's knowing smile. Her dress caught a breeze in the wind, and the flash of hot pink reflected in the sun and onto the door window of the cafe.