Chapter 11 - The Reactions

"That's bullshit."

Chan was lying on the couch watching the president's speech on Jeongin's phone over his shoulder. Jeongin was sitting on the floor, and Chan was twirling his hair in curls and then brushing them out with his fingers. He tucked the blanket tighter around his waist and legs, solely out of a need to fidget.

"You'll be able to go to therapy without worrying about an attack. How is that bad?"

Chan had been going to therapy regularly the past few weeks, and he almost felt ready to start looking for a job. He spent more time at Jeongin's apartment since he gained more energy and confidence to travel there. They were trying not to go too fast, but they realized things fell apart because of communication. Their love had only grown stronger in the past few months away from each other.

"But you won't be able to go with me. How is that good?"

Jeongin hadn't thought of that. "That's not what he said."

"You're smart and good about not being in denial, you know that's where things could go."

"But why?"

"Segregation, I think you called it once? In those smart kid books you read?" Chan kissed the top of Jeongin's head and nuzzled his nose into his hair to let him know it was a joke.

"I know. Segregation is built into the evaluation already." Jeongin was a little grumpy about Chan's comment, but knew it was more a compliment than anything.

"Right, but most people don't." Chan slid off the couch to move next to his boyfriend, taking the blanket and covering both their legs. "Didn't you tell me about schools being separated by race once? I'm asking genuinely, not in a 'I'm teasing you about being smart' way."

Jeongin nodded. "They used to separate black and white students in schools until the supreme court case of Brown vs. Board of Education made them not do that. Keeping the minority away from the majority has been a theme throughout history." Jeongin still wasn't sure what Chan was trying to get at. "Why do you ask?"

"Don't the mental health centers seem like a way to separate Sub-Standard and Superior away from each other instead just as 'a safe space for evaluations?'"

"What about Felix?" Jeongin asked. Chan had told Jeongin about the blonde-haired secretary, both fluffy in hair and personality. "Would they grandfather him in or consider him a threat because of his brother?"

Chan shrugged. "It depends if they find out his Superior brother was there the day of the shooting..."

"I doubt they would fire him!" Jeongin scoffed at the notion, face in his hands, but knew through his love of reading history that Chan might be right.

"This is slippery slope stuff, which is why it's bullshit." Chan moved Jeongin's right hand to kiss his cheek and put it back. "I'll have to see next time I go in."

"I have someone I want to talk to about this." Jeongin suddenly remembered the boy from the library with his mop of brown hair and intense stare. "He might know what will happen."

"How do you know?" Chan asked with a laugh.

"I don't. I've never talked to him before. I just think there's something he knows." Jeongin became serious, knowing what this could turn into.

"Why?"

"I can't explain it."

Chan gave Jeongin a side hug with his left arm, resting his right arm around his waist. The contrast of Chan's black hoodie and Jeongin's cream-colored sweater made Chan smile. They weren't as different as the system told them they were. Black and white weren't opposites, they complimented each other. The two stayed like that for who knows how long, wondering what could happen if the president wasn't stopped.