Chapter 2 - The Reveal

As soon as he got on the 402, Jeongin finally breathed a sigh of relief and processed what just happened. The whole thing felt like a blur. He put on a brave face, and even surprised himself with how insistent he was with Mr. River. He wondered how many other 18-year-olds did what he just did, even if it wasn't successful. Apparently it worked once, and Jeongin wondered how many evaluators could bend, and by how much. Usually when he was this overwhelmed, he'd go to the library to calm himself down. Right now, he just wanted to talk to Chan. He wasn't sure how Chan would feel about his questions, but Channie had always told him to be honest for better or worse, and they'll deal with it together.

Perfect boyfriend material for a non-boyfriend.

Jeongin scurried past the other bus patrons as the bus stopped and he got caught up in the pedestrian traffic going towards his parents' apartment. One thing Chan did tell him is that his key card would be updated in the database before he got home. He was kind of excited to scan his card for the first time as an official adult. He swerved out of the rush of people going back to their jobs from lunch and stood underneath the all too familiar red awning to scan his card.

[Yang, Jeongin (18, Sub-Standard, BD: 08/02)] 

[Access: Granted (Sub-Standard, Average)]

His eyes widened.

All his life he had only seen the Sub-Standard next to the access line. He had seen his Average friends have the two class designations side-by-side before, but never in the history of Earth did he imagine he would have it. His mood soured when he realized the gravity of that one word. It meant he had to leave soon.

He rushed through the small lobby towards the elevator, the worn out maroon carpet dirtied with salt from the leftover snowfall. He wore his favorite sky blue jumper with his black jean shorts. Despite the warm day, he huddled himself in the soft fabric since the fan in the lobby made it too cold for his liking. A classic case of dressing for the weather, or dressing for where you're going to spend most of your day. Jeongin has chosen the latter, but also was trying to look like any Average teenager you might see. The Internet was littered with fast fashion companies that he could buy from, but he tried buying clothes he really liked and using them as long as possible to not contribute to the ever growing waste problem they caused. He hopped in the elevator and spammed the number 22 like his life depended on it. He shifted back and forth anxiously from his toes to his heels as the elevator shot up with surprising speed. Like he always did, he timed his step out of the metal box with the doors opening.

Another perfect exit, he thought, as he rushed to 2211 and knocked on the door.

"Who is it?" He heard Chan faintly call from behind the door. It was Sunday, the one day he knew Chan had off.

"It's Innie. We need to talk."

Chan opened the door, looking ragged as he often did. His brown curls were more wild and long than usual, as he had one hand tucked into the front pocket of his plain black hoodie. The black sweatpants he wore are the ones he wears when he's stayed in the house multiple days in a row. Jeongin met his warm brown eyes, and saw the ever familiar hint of sadness.

"Hey friend! You wanna come...in?"

Jeongin walked slowly towards Chan's room before his friend could even finish inviting him inside. He plopped down on Chan's bed, lying back against the wall as he stared at the doorway waiting for Chan, who entered his room a little confused.

"Why are you so gloomy?"

"It was my Final Evaluation today."

"Oh. Right. Sorry, I forgot. How did it go?" Jeongin briefly looked annoyed at his friend's unnecessary apology, but then continued.