Chapter 8 - Mixing of Classes

"Oh my God, you were hilarious today Sungie!"

"Ahh, you're too sweet! Thanks Jinnie!"

Jisung walked out of the mental health center with a tall blonde that the modern system defined as insanely handsome. During Jisung's Final Evaluation, he was criticized for having "a small frame with poor proportions," thus destroying any hope he had in ever finding a partner once his future dates found out. In contrast, his friend was upgraded to Average and forced to live in Superior housing to keep up a Superior appearance while he pursued modeling and acting. It was so rare to find such high levels of attractiveness amongst the Sub-Standard population that they were almost instantly recruited during the Final Evaluation to join the ranks of the elite. Jisung felt lucky to be friends with the model, but Hyunjin didn't care. Both of them struggled with how they saw themselves, and that was a deep enough connection for their friendship, regardless of what the world thought.

"Have you seen Felix's brother again?" Hyunjin asked, truly baffled by the encounter his friend explained in their group therapy session last week.

"Lee Superior? Nah. He was a jerk anyway. His whole vibe made me nervous."

"But Felix told me he's kind of obsessed with you."

Jisung laughed loudly as he found his way to his favorite bench. Hyunjin often joked with Jisung about his fashion sense. The Sub-Standard didn't see the point in trying, so he prioritized comfort over style. Today, he wore a black turtleneck with a dark blue denim jacket that looked like it was fraying at the sleeves, and black jeans that had a bell bottom flare at the end. The one consistent part of his outfit was his favorite red high-top sneakers, where the original white bottoms were torn and gray from walking in them all year round. Hyunjin had on a baggy beige long-sleeved crop top with a tight fitting white shirt underneath, ironed black dress pants, and a blue checkered beret atop his head.

"From what I heard, 'kind of' is an understatement!"

"Yeah, I was trying not to exaggerate." Hyunjin said, a little embarrassed. Jisung was peacefully staring into the forest.

"Felix tells me I have an impact on everyone I meet."

"Of course, Sungie! You are so precious that no one can forget you!"

A loud bang made Jisung jump, and Hyunjin instinctively put a protective hand on his shoulder.

"Shit, what is that?"

Both boys turned towards the noise. Jisung was annoyed that his usual safe haven was being invaded by foreign noises. That is, until he recognized who was at the front door.

"Speaking of Superior..."

Hyunjin stared at the young man in an absurdly expensive business suit leaning his head against the door. "That's him?"

"Yep, watch how I mess with him."

Jisung rushed up to the door, Hyunjin trailing behind him, confused as to what his best friend meant by 'mess with him.'

"What's up, Superior? You seem to be having some trouble there." Jisung mocked, and Hyunjin was impressed by his level of confidence.

Minho looked over with his angry expression, and it instantly softened. Hyunjin thought he recognized the angry young man from Superior parties he was forced to attend, though he couldn't remember which ones.

"Oh, hi Jisung." Minho said sheepishly. "I wasn't sure why I couldn't get in. I'm here to pick up Felix from work."

"Isn't this place too good for you?" Jisung ignored the fact that Felix told Minho his name, as Minho bit his inner cheek.