15.

"i love fish."

you are in a boat out on the bay owned by kalim with him, jamil, floyd, epel, and malleus. a weird combo that somehow worked. the four rods kalim got the other day are passed around.

"if you love fish then you should love ME. basically the same thing-"

"y/n please i'm literally begging you that hat is SO fucking ugly please take it off-"

"you're a god damn eel floyd we know this shit-"

"i think the hats good on you, y/n-"

"it's just the fish nicknames-"

"it's good with the rod-"

"guys for the love of god stop talking over each other."

"y/n how do you fish." malleus asks, holding your really ugly rod.

"oh! y/n's fishing tutorial!"

"PLEASE THAT ROD AND MALLEUS IM GIGGLING SO HARD-"

"epel i WILL throw you overboard. eat a cheese cube and stop making fun of people kalims trying to fish."

"ACK- NO I CANT EAT CHEESE IM ON A DIET-"

as jamil shoves cheese down epels throat, the others watch you pull a tie dye colored tube of fish bait out of your pocket.

"tada! power bait!"

"don't people use worms??"

"you can! but this is my bff. you just open it up and-" you open it, showing off a bad-smelling inside that's bright yellow-orange-green tie dye. "you grab the rods and hold it like this-"

"good lord i'm done with fishing why does that smell so bad."

"i'm going to steal your nose and sell it to azul shut the fuck up."

malleus gives epel and floyd a look, intently listening to your lecture about bait.

"you get a little out of the container and you mold it into a ball, like so!"

"oh! you're good at that!"

"thanks kalim! oh-right- let jamil know to set up the net, i'm gonna cast soon!"

"okay! 'm gonna get a soda, i'll cast soon too!!"

he disappears under the main deck of the boat, and epel follows after him. likely because he thinks the bait smells like shit. (it doesn't- it's just a doughy-fish-whatever scent.)

"okay so you put the ball on the fish hook and you gotta be careful cuz the hooks will hurt really easily-"

"owies, y/n it hurts!" you look over to see floyd's hand clutching a hook. god help these fucking idiots.

all you do is stare in shock. "what the fuck...um.."

"oh, i've got it." malleus says, approaching floyd. he plucks it easily. "you're bleeding."

"oh."

you all just stare at each other dumbly. jamil, coming up with the net, can only blink at you guys.

"why the fuck is floyd bleeding all over the floor. this is a new boat i just cleaned that fucking thing."

"um. where are the bandaids."

"over there to the left."

floyd disappears too. that leaves you with malleus and jamil, who brought the net. he attaches a part to the side of the boat so it trails in the water.

"okay! so, the bait is on!" you show off the chunky sphere. "now we cast."

you press a lever thingy near the reel, letting the fishing line loose. you keep it down and flick your wrist, throwing the hook and line out into the water.

"tada! and now we wait."

"wow. you're actually good at that."

"thanks jamil! anyways, here malleus! take floyd's rod im not gonna let him fish after he put a hole in his hand."

you hand the rod to the awkward encyclopedia. he follows your earlier steps with way more grace than you did. wow. he even made the cast look majestic.

"did you get a bite yet y/n?"

"nope! give it a few minutes. hey, did kalim ever get his so-"

"tada!"

it's kalim, speak of the devil, coming up the stairs with a giant cooler held over his head. epel trails after him, still looking appalled by everyone.

"he couldn't decide on a drink so he just brought up all of them."

"oh yay i want one too."

"did you see the gaping wound floyd has."

"oh my fucking god he did NOT go downstairs i told him not to-"

jamil disappears down the stairs, likely on his way to beat the fuck out of floyd. kalim sets the cooler next to you and settles into a camping chair set up on the deck. you dig for a drink.

"oh! for some reason i expected off brand sodas."

"dude. kalim is literally rich."

"i forget. it's the college mindset i think everyone is broke."

"leona isn't. that's why he has jack, he pays a SHITton."

"I KNOW IT MAKES ZERO SENSE BECAUSE HE LITERALLY LIVES ON MY COUCH-"

"y/n, your rod-"

"OH FUCK-"

the line on your rod goes taut, signaling it's caught on something. from there you start fighting for your life against a damn fish, trying to reel and pull back and also ignore the clashing voices of the people around you.

"NO FUCKING WAY YOURE ACTUALLY CATCHING SOMETHING-"

"oh! before me, too!!"

"i don't think you're doing it right but-"

"hey, i got my bandaid!"

"GET THE FUCK BACK HERE YOU BLED ALL OVER THE TILE-"

"oh!"

one last pull, and a fish pops out of the water. it's a really ugly bass, a perfect match for your ugly hat and hideous rod. jamil, who has a grip on floyd's ear, drags the boy to the side of the boat to grab the net.

"good job! it's a big fish, i'm sure jamil can make something good from it!"

"oh my god. we're gonna have a feast?"

"mhm! that's why we're fishing, it's tradition!"

you can feel your mouth watering at the idea of jamils cooking, putting the bass in the net jamil holds and using the de-hooking tool to get your hook free of its mouth. jamil reattaches the net at the side of the boat, and the fish gets set in the water.

"why are you just dragging it like that? is there a practical reason?"

"i'm pretty sure, malleus! i think it's to keep them fresh or something while we fish. dunno though, i haven't fished on a boat since i was like. camping at some age below ten."

"honestly how the FUCK do you know how to fish at all."

"i have a cliche fishing grandpa who's a grump."

"you're really good at it!"

"thanks! keep an eye on your rod, kalim, let's catch as much as possible!"

"yeah!"

with a newfound motivation (food and not starving, but i guess the rich mfs are there for shits and giggles) everyone except epel and jamil cast. it's followed by floyd actually like straight up slapping epel with the first fish he's caught, and malleus is the one to catch the biggest.

you all wind up in the dorm kitchen the next day, trying to both help jamil and not get in the way of the poor guy.
——————
1167 words
i wrote a prompt where idia got lice and y/n went insane trying to comb it all out of his 50 foot hair who wants the night raven lice epidemic chapter🥺