Chapter 11

"Alice, stop moving! I'm almost done," Hermione shouted at me.

Pouting, I crossed my arms and closed my eyes as she continued to comb and pull at my hair. Today was Slughorn's Christmas party and tomorrow we leave for Christmas break. I'm ecstatic. I haven't heard from my father yet but I know he would never bail on me, not after he promised. And one thing about my father is he never breaks his promises. 

"Okay, I'm done," I sighed happily at her words. "Now for your makeup."

"No!" I whined.

"Quit it! Do you want Malfoy to find you looking like a dead zombie?"

"No," I paused and smirked. "And zombies are already dead, so the term dead zombie is a double negative," I laughed as Hermione huffed, indignantly.

An hour ago, Ginny helped Hermione with her hair and make-up before leaving with her boyfriend Dean. Now after Hermione finishes with my make-up, I'll just slip into my dress and go with her and...

"Hermy, who are you going with to the party?" I asked as she dabbed at my nose with powder.

"Well umm," she sighed. “I’m going with Cormac."

My eyes opened wide. "Cormac! Eww he's disgusting. He's been hitting on me since I let my hair down."

"I know," Hermione groaned. "But I figured that it would bother Ron the most, if I went with Cormac. And even though he's not going to be there, he's still going to hear about it."

I nodded, understanding. "You’re right."

"I'm finished!" she exclaimed. "Now go put on your dress and shoes."

I nodded and went over to her bed and picked up the ocean blue dress that went perfectly with my sapphire eyes. It was long and silky. It has a slit on the one side of my thigh all the way to the ground, giving it an edge without me losing my sense of propriety. 

After slipping the dress on and putting on the heels to match. I glanced at the mirror and was shocked to see the spitting image of my mother in the mirror. Hermione had curled my hair and pinned up the top half. I turned to Hermione only to find her starting at me with admiration.

"You look beautiful, Alice."

"Thank you," I smiled. "As do you." And I meant it. Hermione looked incredible gorgeous tonight and Ron better start appreciating her.

She nodded with a smile and we walked down to the common room to look for Cormac. Unfortunately, we found him waiting for us on the couch. He was surrounded by fourth years as he regaled them with false Quidditch injuries and stories of that nature.

Upon hearing our heels, he turned and we were pleased to see his mouth drop in shock. I turned my gaze shyly, looking over at the roaring fireplace. But before I could blink, Hermione grabbed my arm, linked it with her and we walked out of the common room with Cormac trailing behind us. I giggled as he tried to make conversation with her but she just waved him off. 

Soon we arrived at the Christmas party and I detached myself from Hermione to go get us some pumpkin juice. But when I turned around she was gone. I looked around confused until I felt something tug at my leg. I looked down and stifled a giggle at Hermione, who was hiding under the table cloth. She brought her finger up to her lips and I nodded. 

Cormac approached me soon after that. "Have you seen Hermione?" I just shook my head and he sighed. "You're not going to talk to me, are you?" I shook my head with a smile and he sighed deeply before leaving. 

"The coast is clear, Hermy!" I whisper yelled and I saw her dash from under the table to a curtain nearby. I laughed loudly after that. 

Then I turned and began my search for Draco. The party had started an hour ago but he still hasn't arrived. From the corner of my eye I saw Blaise, Draco's best friend with Pansy. I contemplated on whether or not to ask them. For goodness sakes, I'm a Gryffindor! I thought encouragingly. And before I could process anything, my legs moved me towards them and soon I was in front of them. At first Pansy looked at me with envy and confusion and then it seemed to click.