Chapter 9

As I laid on the grass adjacent to the Black Lake, I closed my eyes and imagined my mother's face. My memory of her is blurry but I can still see her warm and inviting face, her bright blue eyes that illuminated the room and her award winning smile. My mother was beautiful in every definition of the word. I missed her so much but at least I still had my father, whether he spends time with me or not. I turned my head as I heard the leaves shuffling behind me. 

"Who's-Ahh!" I jumped up quickly and ran when I saw Draco crawl out of the bushes with a huge spider. 

"Alice!" he laughed as he chased me. "You need to get over your fear of spiders!"

"Never!" I yelled as I ran over to a grassy field.

But, of course, me being the clumsy person that I am, I tripped. Draco stopped running and stood over me with a mischievous glint in his eyes. He leaned the spider closer to my face as I squirmed around, looking for a way out. I noticed the ground that Draco was standing on was steep.

Looking at it more, it appeared to be the beginning of a small hill. Taking the opportunity, I pushed him back with all of my might only to have him lash out and grabbed my hand, pulling me down the hill with me. We rolled down the hill together, laughing and smiling until we came to an abrupt halt. Since Draco was still holding my hand, he landed on top of me and smirked.

"Ha! Now you can't run!" 

I returned the smirk. "Where's the spider?"

His smirk fell off his face instantly and I laughed but it was hard since he was still on top of me. I blushed at our close proximity.

"I dropped it because you pushed me," he complained.

"Well, I wouldn't have pushed you if you wouldn't have chased me," I retorted.

"Okay, your right." Then he reached up and removed a piece of hair from my face. He then stared at me for the longest until he bent down and pressed his lips lightly against mine.  "You're so beautiful." He murmured and I smiled, returning the kiss.

Draco and I have come to an accord since last night. The whole morning he's been all lovey dovey with me and I can't help but want more. Smiling suits him and he seems to only do it around me. Lately, he's been dry and lifeless towards everyone else, but me. He even stopped bullying the younger students and every time Harry says something to him. He just ignores it. But whenever I'm around it's like he forgets his troubles and acts normal. His entire face lightens up.

Anyways, I decided to spend the day with Draco seeing as my father is busy talking to Harry and Dumbledore. I shook the thoughts away as we kissed. I really liked Draco. The kissing continued until we heard someone cough loudly in front of us. Draco and I pulled apart instantly to look up at the person.

"It's complicated huh?" My father smirked and I sighed.

"Yes, it is. Now daddy." I stood up and Draco followed suit. "This is my friend Draco-"

"I know who he is, Alice." My father interrupted causing me to frown. "Why didn't you tell me he was a Malfoy?"

"You never asked. Plus it doesn't matter whether he is or not. I like him either way," I said, confused with his attitude. 

"Of course, it matters!" My father snapped. He's never acted like this before. "He's a Malfoy and nothing good can come from his blood line and no daughter of mine will ever be with their kind."

My mouth hung open. "How can you say that?"

"I think I should go." Draco inputted sadly but I shook my head.

"No, I think you should leave dad- father." I turned my back to him.

"Alice sweetie, you've got to understand that his father is a death eater and Harry Potter told me that he might be one as well. Now lift up your sleeve boy!" My father ordered.

He reached out towards Draco's arm but I stood in between them.

"No! He does not have to prove anything to you." I yelled before taking Draco's hand and turning away from my father. We were almost to the castle when my father reached us.

"I forbid you to see him!" 

I rolled my eyes. "I can't believe you. My mother would have never forbid me to stay away from someone I cared about. You sound like Pam." I took a deep breath and surprised myself when I said the next sentence authoritively. "Now I suggest you think this through daddy because I'm not abandoning Draco."

***

"You didn't have to do that." Draco told me the next day in potions. "You know, stand up to your father for me. He's entitled to his own opinions about me."

I sighed. Draco's been trying to get me to talk to my father before he leaves today but I'm still upset. My father has never yelled nor denied me of anything and just because some boy told him bad things about Draco, he wants to be a big Meany.

"Yes, but he doesn't know you enough to form any opinions."

"But not everyone can be as open-minded as you," he stated.

"I guess, but-"

"Ms. Kingsley!" Professor Slughorn interrupted me. "Can you tell me the name of this potion and can you give me a brief explanation of what it is and does?"

I gulped. I hated attention. And now Slughorn was putting the spot light right on me. I didn't want to answer but I felt Draco entwine his fingers in mine, giving me some reassurance.

"Well, Professor that potion is Amortentia." I paused as everyone looked over at me in awe. I mean seriously, I'm just a girl not a goddess. I'm beginning to regret the make-over. "Amortentia is the most powerful Love Potion in the entire world. It causes a powerful infatuation or obsession in the drinker."

Slughorn smiled. "What about the smell?" 

"The potion has a different aroma for everyone who smells it, reminding each person of the things that they find most attractive, even if the person themselves doesn't acknowledge or is unaware of their fondness for the object of their affection." 

Slughorn approached me with the pot of potion and held it up to my nose.

"What do you smell, my dear?"

I leaned in and the smell was deliciously intoxicating. It smelt of fresh bakes cookies my mother used to bake, parchment paper, my father's hair gel and something else that I couldn't decipher. I inhaled more until it hit me. The last smell was Draco's shirt, more specifically the cologne he wears. I remembered that day in the library when I laid against his chest; the aroma filled my nostrils, making my spine shiver.

"Well?" Slughorn persisted and I glanced around to find everyone staring at me. 

"I-Uh smell, fresh baked cookies, parchment paper and my father's hair gel," I paused and decided to vaguely include the last one. It's not lying just editing. "And cologne."

"And how about you Mr. Malfoy?" 

Draco beamed at this. Slughorn never showed Draco much attention. He leaned in and smiled. Apparently the smell reminded him of something good. After a moment Draco answered.

"I smell green apples," I chuckled causing him to glare at me playfully. "Peppermint, my mother's perfume and..." he trailed off. 

"And?" Slughorn persisted, being nosy once again.

"And shampoo." I glanced up at Draco when he said this. He glanced down at my hair and I blushed. We both turned away smiling. 

"Alright, class that will be all. In our next lesson, we'll learn how to perfect Amortentia." 

We all nodded and exited the room. Draco began to walk me to the library as usual when Snape stopped us. Draco glared at the Professor causing me to stare at them curiously. 

"You are both wanted in the Headmaster's office," he paused and added slowly. "Don’t be late."