Chapter 22

I watched Mrs. Weasley from the bathroom mirror, standing behind me and fighting with my hair. Using her wand, she had magically curled my hair, then took half of it and clipped it back, the other half falling over my shoulders. A couple of loose strands fell, framing my face.

"Almost... got... it," Mrs. Weasley mumbled from behind me.

I looked at my reflection in the mirror. I put on more makeup than usual, my eyeshadow a sparkly, silver colour. I winged my eyeliner and wore a nude lipstick with a hint of pink liner. My silver dress fell from my shoulders, held up with spaghetti straps. It was covered in sparkles, perfect for New Year's Eve. It fell midway down my thighs, the slight V-neck accenting my breast nicely. It was a bit tight and my shape could be seen, but not overly skin-tight.

I tried not to think of the task at hand, a million ways of failure on the edge of my mind. I played nervously with the dainty necklace I was wearing.

"Done," Mrs. Weasley said, stepping back from me and admiring her handiwork. She looked into the mirror to take me all in. "Gorgeous." She smiled in a way that made me miss my own mom.

I turned to face her. "Thanks, Mrs. Weasley," I said. "For helping me get ready."

"Of course dear," Mrs. Weasley said, beaming at me. "You have a very important goal tonight, but it is still a party and you should look your best."

I smiled at her, turning back to look at my reflection.

"Ready?" she asked.

I took a deep breath before nodding.

Mrs. Weasley hurried before me and waited for me at the bottom of the stairs. I walked down, careful not to trip in my heels. Dumbledore had wanted me to look slightly older, thus Mrs. Weasley found me really tall heels.

Mrs. Weasley continued beaming at me as I made my way down, standing beside her. Snape was waiting at the door, and he looked like he stopped breathing as he saw me. I tried to hold in my laughter. He looked me up and down slowly and I bit my lower lip.

"You look incredible," Sirius said, standing opposite of Snape.

"Thanks," I said shyly.

"You're late," Snape said.

I rolled my eyes and walked over to him.

"Well," I said. "I'm here now."

"We need to get going," Snape said, glancing at his watch. He wore all black, as usual, but slightly more formal with a black tie.

"Good luck!" Mrs. Weasley called after us as we left.

We walked towards the park.

"You remember the plan?" Snape said, looking straight ahead.

"Mhmm," I said. "I'm a family friend, visiting from Canada and you got forced into bringing me here by my parents."

"Right," Snape said, turning to me and holding out his arm. "You look nice." He eyed my dress as I grabbed his arm.

We apparated and landed by some big trees, near a black, iron gate.

We walked towards the gate as I smoothed out my dress, my legs cold in the wind.

Snape stared at my legs for a moment, before shaking his head and opening the gate.