Chapter 12

I stared at myself in the mirror. I was wearing a red dress that was tight around my breast, pushing them up, with a sweetheart neckline. The top was sparkly, and I swayed in the mirror watching how the sparkles caught the light at different angles. The skirt of the dress was loose and silky, it fell to my feet. Even though the skirt wasn't fitted, you could see the outline of my shape under it. Mack did my hair in an updo with a couple of loose curls to frame my face. She let me borrow a necklace and earrings, since none of mine were fancy enough.

"You look amazing," Mack said as she came up behind me.

"So do you," I told her as I turned around to take in her dress. She wore a deep purple gown, with sheer sleeves and a bejeweled top. Her neckline was square and it fit her perfectly. I mean, everything she wore fit her perfectly. She had one of those bodies that everything looked good on.

"This better get Jason's attention," she said as she admired herself in the mirror. Her long curls fell over her shoulders.

"Ready to go?" I asked her.

Mack gave a deep breath and said "Let's go."

We hooked our arms and walked to the common room. Spencer, Lexie and Lexie's date (a tall, brunette with lanky arms that I've never met but seen around) waited for us.

"Wow," Spencer looked at both of us. "You guys look beautiful."
"Not so bad yourself," Mack said.

After we were all done complimenting each other, we headed down. Fred and George had left earlier with their own dates. I had no idea who they took. George had been avoiding me lately, maybe because of the dance. I made a mental note to chat with him alone when I got the chance.

Corey was waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs. When I reached him, he took my hand and spun me around. Maybe this was going to be fun.

"You look outstanding," he said, beaming down at me. "You didn't do all this for me, did you?"

I laughed. "To tell you the truth, Mack did most of it."

He put his hand on my back and led me to the Great Hall where the dance was taking place. Many students were already here, dancing, talking, drinking punch and snacking. The long tables were removed, and smaller, fewer, round tables with chairs took up space near the borders of the room. The middle of the room was cleared for a dance floor, and a band I'd never heard of were playing music where the teachers normally sat. Lit pumpkins floated above us all, and the room was tastefully decorated for Halloween. I scanned the room, looking for Snape but didn't see him.

"Want something to drink?" Corey asked me.

"Sure," I said.

We walked towards one of the longer tables that had drinks and food. Corey poured me some punch, then looked around before slipping out a flask and pouring some of its contents into my punch and handing me the juice.

I took it willingly. He then did the same for his own drink. I knew Spencer, Fred and George were also bringing a flask. I assumed most upper years did this often.

We sat down at a table and I noticed Fred and George with a couple of girls that I didn't recognize. I knew they weren't Gryffindor, as I had never seen them before.

We had a couple more drinks before we both started feeling good. It was easy to talk to Corey and I was actually enjoying myself. Once we were buzzed, Mack came running to me.