Chapter 6

The weeks following the party, students who were caught were completing their detentions. I was told to clear out some storage rooms that appeared to not have been touched in years. We lost over 100 points for Gryffindor alone, which the other Gryffindors wouldn't let us forget. Snape continued to avoid my eye contact and only spoke to me when necessary. Which was fine, because I had already gotten into enough trouble. I finished up my last detention and headed to the library to do a couple hours of studying before curfew. I was behind on my homework because of all the detentions, which meant I was staying up late and was behind on sleep. This is why I fell asleep in the back corner of the library.

I awoke with a start, looking around in confusion. The library was completely empty. I checked my watch; 1:13am. Shit. I hastily picked up my books and stuffed them into my bag, then practically ran out of the library. I half walked, half jogged towards the common room, trying to be quiet and quick at the same time. As I rounded the corner, I ran face first into Peeves, the castle's poltergeist. I mean, I didn't run into him, more like I ran through him.

"Sorry," I muttered, rebalancing myself from the shock of seeing him.

"Well, look what we have here," Peeves exclaimed rather loudly. "Do my eyes deceive me? It can't be a student out of bed."

"Peeves, please be quiet." I begged.

"What's in it for good-ol' Peeves?"

"Whatever you want," I whispered urgently. "Just don't make too much noise, please."

"But noise is so much fun," Peeves said loudly.

"Peeves, please sto-"

"Oi! TEACHERS!" It was useless, Peeves was screaming now. "I'VE CAUGHT A STUDENT OUT OF BED, COME QUICK!"

With that, Peeves flew through the ceiling and disappeared on the other side. I tried to make a run for it, but Snape appeared at the other end of the corridor. Just my luck. I froze, waiting for him to approach. He came up to me, clear disappointment on his face.

"I must say," he said, "I am highly disappointed. You're my star pupil, and you keep breaking the school rules."

I stood there, not sure what to say. Any excuse I could think of didn't seem to help.

"Well?" He asked.

"Well what?" I shot back.

"What is your reason for being out of bed after curfew?"

"Does it matter?" I didn't want to play his games tonight, I was exhausted and was going to get in trouble no matter what I said.

"Of course it matters. And you will address me as sir when you speak to me."

"I was doing homework at the library and I fell asleep," I told him truthfully. "Sir."

"I don't appreciate your sarcasm, Miss l/n," he said. "10 points from Gryffindor for the attitude and detention in my office tomorrow night for breaking curfew."

With that, he ushered me back to my dorms and I fell asleep instantly, slightly annoyed that I had detention on a Saturday.

Once again, I found my way back to Snape's office. I spent my entire day doing homework and was already exhausted, but knowing Snape, he would keep me as late as possible. His door was open so I walked in without knocking. He looked up at me from behind his desk, clearly annoyed at the privacy violation.