Chapter 48

NICOLE

    My restive eyes were situated on the road, my hands gripped onto the steering wheel of my car.
It's been a week since my husband left for Mexico. Whenever I thought of the way he spoke to me before leaving, the emotion his words carried and how he stared intently at me; it always left me feeling teary.

  I was now living my life on the hope of seeing my husband again. I prayed daily that he would come back for me. I don't want him to die neither do I want to be forced to go on an exile mission as a result of Raphael's enemies coming to look for me.

Where the fuck are all these enemies coming from? I never envisioned my married life to be this chaotic. Why does it feel like everyone is literally trying to kill I and my husband.

   My mind drifted off to Maya with a lone tear trickling down my cheek.
She was such a brave woman. She didn't fear death even when she saw it coming.
And yet no one believed her. I have this ominous feeling of something very bad happening. I feel I might go down the same way she did--a bullet in the chest.

  All this premonitions of death in my life are scary. And the way Raphael sounded before his departure was enough to pull me into an abyss of despair and uncertainty.

I'm trying everyday to think of positive things and put a smile on my face but heaven knows I can't. I'm absolutely helpless.
Why do I just feel that Raphael's departure to Mexico will do us more harm than good?

What is the pain inside my heart that I feel?

"Nicole!"
At once I felt a hand furiously gripping on to the steering wheel and swerving it right in time from a coming truck.

  It was Leila.
My heart sank and I immedately pulled over, turning my face to hers.

"What just happened?" She asked with heavy breathing.

"I--i don't..." I stuttered with my words

"You almost killed us! What are you thinking off. I wanted to drive but you insisted on driving when you can't even focus on the road yet you have your eyes stationed on it. What the hell has come over you? What is wrong with you Nicole?!"

"Leila will you stop yelling at me! I am the wife of your capo dei capi and I won't tolerate your sudden disrespectful attitude" I immedately cut into her chidings.

  Leila narrowed her eyes from mine to the steering wheel. I could see she was on the edge and was trying to control whatever emotion she was having.
"I'm sorry moglie" Leila muttered under her breath through gritted teeth.

I ignored her apology and ignited the car engine.
"Hey you aren't going to drive again are you?" She alarmed.

"I'll be more focused this time. I've just been thinking too much about Raphael" I assured her.
  I could see it clearly that she didn't want me to drive. Raphael left her in charge of my safety while he went to Mexico with his capos so I could probably understand why she felt so tensed.

  But not minding her apprehension, I pulled the car back on to the road.

"Relax leila. We won't die" I told her with my full orbs on the road.

"I hope so too" she whispered, leaning her back on the chair.

  I drove us in silence, trying so hard to keep thoughts of Raphael at bay and focus on not having another accident.

  The silence was calm and peaceful. Each person in their own world. I sometimes wondered what Leila was thinking.

  Even though Leila was Raphael's most trusted assassin, I couldn't doubt the fact that she was beginning to give off an uncanny aura. 
I don't know how but I just felt she wasn't being true.