Chapter 14

"So Mr Raph, I'll truly be honoured if you can take up this case for me. I've heard of your law expertise and truly no other barrister would fit in"the man's hoarse voice added.

Raphael sighed lightly and nodded his head with a plastic smile on his face. "I'll think about it"

The man was elated and he quickly handed Raphael his business card.
"Thank you barrister. It's a pleasure to meet you once again"

"And to you Mrs Raphael Justice. It's a pleasure meeting both of you"He added turning to face Nicole.

"The pleasure is all mine"Nicole replied gracefully. He baded them farewell before walking away.

"God..."Raphael groaned as his eyes trailed along with the man's walking steps.

"You are tired right?" Nicole asked knowing fully well what his reply would be.

"Of course I am. Let's leave here please"Raphael quickly said, taking her by the hand and wanting to get away from the hall before another person would approach them again.

"Ok hold on let me get my...."Nicole stopped herself, her face becoming pale.

"What is it my love?"

"My purse..."Nicole said as her eyes darted to the ground.
"It's gone"Nicole completed, her eyes facing Raphael.

"What? How?" Raphael asked concerned.
Nicole's agitated eyes stared at him. "I don't know Raph"she looked back at the seat they were seated on, her eyes roving around the table.

Her purse wasn't there. "It's not there"she looked back at Raphael with mortified eyes.

"You probably dropped it. Come on let's check around"Raphael suggested.

Nicole agreed with him and they both retraced their steps, searching for her purse but it was no where to be found.

Nicole remembered back in Nigeria when she purposely lied that her purse got missing to frame her sister, Amarachi, and now it was truly missing.
Her heart sank and she became doused in anxiety.

"It's no where to be found Raph"Nicole cried out.
She ran her hands through her braids and exhaled. "I didn't drop it anywhere. I truly can't fathom how it got missing"

"Calm down babe. Hold on ok. I'll get you your purse"Raphael voice echoed in her ears.
He quickly gestured for her to stay put on the spot. Nicole watched him go towards the centre of the room, where the instrumentalists were playing.

Raphael strode towards the instrumentalist, his hands tucked in his pockets. He was anxious to find Nicole's purse as quick as possible so he could leave the function before any body else approached him concerning some meeting they would want him to participate him in.

"Stop the music"He commanded. The music immedately came to sharp halt and everyone's attention was turned towards the centre of the hall, wondering why the music had been stopped.

Murmurings flew in the air, echoing through the walls with all eyes on Raphael.

"Sorry for disrupting your music but I have an issue" Raphael said.
His eyes browsed everybody like a hawk, checking if anyone would object.

Luckily for them, nobody dared to interrupt him.
He cleared his throat as he began his speech.
"My wife's purse is missing. It's a red purse with intricate gold designs by the side of the purse..."

Nicole watched Raphael give details about her purse, anxiety eating her up.

Series of murmuring could be heard around the room.