Chapter Sixteen: Sauna Test (1/2)

After the three girls got back, they had another sleepover to cool off.

"Which one?" Max asks El and Ava, holding up a Green Lantern comic, as well as a Wonder Woman one. "I don't know." El says, sighing. Ava just slowly pointed at the Wonder Woman one.

"Hey, there's nothing to worry about anymore, okay?" Max says to both of the girls. "It doesn't make sense." El says worriedly. "What doesn't make sense?" Max asks the girl.

"Heather." Ava blurts out, knowing exactly how El is feeling. "The blood." El adds on, "And the ice." Ava says. "Heather had a fever, so she took a cold bath, but she's better now. That has to be it," Max says.

"I don't know where that blood came from, but, we saw her. We all saw her, she's totally fine." Max finishes, hoping the two girls just drop it.

"What about Billy?" El asks, making Ava remember his sadistic smile and his dilated pupils looking back at her through the window.

"What about him?" Max asks, "He seemed wrong." Ava steps in. "Wrong is kind of like his default." Max says, gently grabbing Ava's hand. "But it's nice to know he's not a murderer, because that would've totally sucked." She finishes, chuckling.

"Who.. Is that?" El asks, picking up the Wonder Woman magazine that Ava picked out. "See, this is why you can't just hang out with Mike all the time." Max says, "This is Wonder Woman, AKA Princess Diana." She adds on.

"She's from a paradise island, which is like, this hidden island where there are only women Amazon warriors."  Max explains as El leans over her shoulder along with Ava.

~~~

"Do you copy? This is a code red." Lucas says through the radio, "I repeat, this is a code red." Lucas repeats. Ava groans and tries to turn to the other side of the bed but Max was holding her tightly, not letting her go.

"Max. Do you copy?" He asks. "This is a code red." The boy says again. Max scoffs and takes her hands off of Ava's waist and picks up the radio. "Shut. Up." The redhead says, turning off the radio.

Max pulls Ava closer and lays her head on the girls chest, both slowly falling asleep peacefully once again.

Then the phone rings.

Max shoots up from the bed, making El get up from the bottom of the bed. "You've got to be kidding me." Max scoffs, taking the covers off of her and getting off the bed.

"I'm sleeping. Go away." Max says, annoyance in her tone. "This is Mike. Do not hang up." Mike says, causing Max to put the phone back to her ear. El and Ava look at the redhead suspiciously.

"Something happened, something bad. Our very lives can be at stake." Mike says, "What are you talking about?" Max says, making the other two girls glance at one another curiously.

"Just come over to my house. We'll explain everything." Mike says, "What?" Max asks. "Hurry." He says, hanging up. "What did he say?" Ava asks, looking at her girlfriend from the bed.

~~~

"I didn't think it was anything at first." Will says, "I mean, i think i just didn't want to believe it." The boy continues, "The first time i felt it was at the movies." He says, shakily.