Chapter Nine: Broken Promises

The group went to where Will saw Hopper. Will had said that Hopper was in a lot of danger, so the group went to try and help.

"We need Will to locate Hopper inside this hole." Mike says, pointing at Will. "If Will goes down there then i am too, just to make sure nothing bad happens." Ava says, standing next to Will.

"What? Hell no." Max says, grabbing Ava's arm tightly. "There's no chance you're going down there." Max says, gripping onto Ava's arm.

"I'll be fine." Ava says, as if she was trying to convince herself, too. "You're staying up here." Max says in a serious tone, still holding onto Ava's arm as if she would disappear if she let go.

Mike watched the two and was slightly jealous of the situation. "She's her own person, she can make her own decisions." Mike says, trying to get Max off of Ava's arm.

"I don't need her getting hurt." Max says, holding onto Ava's arm even tighter now that Mike was trying to get her off.

"'Max, trust me. I'll come back perfectly fine." Ava says, looking down at Max. Max just stares at the girl, not knowing what to do or say. "I promise i'll come back okay." Ava says, gently grabbing the girls hand that was on her arm.

"You promise?" Max says, knowing that Ava is probably lying. "Promise." Ava responds, squeezing the redheads hand in reassurance.

Max then let go of Ava's arm slowly, and watched it fall back to her side. "Are we gonna do this or what?" Mike says, looking at Ava. "Yeah, yeah." Ava says, gently setting Max's hand down.

Mike grabs Ava's hand, and walks over to the hole. Ava was unaware of the fact that Max was incredibly jealous of Mike holding her hand. "Will, come on, we need you." Mike says.

Will walks over to them. "We're coming too." Joyce calls out, bringing Bob along. "Hey, Mrs. Byers." Ava says casually, "Hey kiddo." Joyce responds, patting the girls head.

Joyce was like Ava's mom, or at least other mom. Her and Will were very close, and they would have countless amounts of sleepovers at the Byers household.

"Hey clumsy?" Max says. Ava turns around in response. "Please come back to me." Max says quietly, her glossy, beautiful blue eyes looking into Ava's. "You know i will." Ava says, nodding, and slightly smiling at the girl.

Ava turns back to look at the hole, but finds Joyce smiling at her. Ava could tell Joyce was basically fangirling over her and Max being together.

"Come on, we can't make Hopper wait any longer." Ava says, trying to distract herself from Joyce.

~~~

The five were inside of the tunnel, and were walking cautiously. Mike didn't let go of Ava's hand, but she was okay with that, it brought her comfort in the situation.

"He should be over here." Will pointed to the right. They all walked slowly to the right, scared of what might happen.

Ava's head suddenly started to throb, and she let go of Mike's hand to grab her head in pain. "Ava? Are you alright?" Mike asks, looking at the girl. "I-I'm fine.." Ava says, she knew she wasn't, but Hopper was more important right now.

"Oh my gosh, Hopper!" Joyce shouts. They all run to where they heard Joyce's voice. Ava's hand started to hurt as well, she wanted to unwrap the bandages but she knew she couldn't.