Chapter 62

After leaving the Li family's house, Shen Xi realized that he was not as happy as he had expected.

Whether it was about Chu Qianqian setting up Shen Dehan or him bursting Shen Ji's illusion about Shen Dehan, after the initial great pleasure, more sadness welled up in his heart instead. These two people, one his father and the other his elder brother, should have been his closest relatives, but the reality was that they hated him for being born, while he was calculating step by step trying to make them suffer for the rest of their lives.

Shen Xi stepped on the gas pedal hard. The car was speeding to the limit and the cold wind poured in from the open car window but Shen Xi didn't seem to feel cold. At the next intersection, he turned abruptly in the direction of the cemetery.

The cemetery closed early on winter nights, and the caretakers had gone home early to rest, leaving only rows of dull yellow streetlights to accompany the countless cold tombstones. The whistling night wind weaved in and out of the empty cemetery, its sound faintly reminding a sobbing mournful complaint. Shen Xi skillfully climbed over the wall and soon reached the place where his mother was sleeping.

In the dim light, his mother was still smiling brightly. Shen Xi gazed at his mother's smiling face and did not move for a long time.

Shen Bixue and Shen Ji's conversation repeated itself in his mind. Shen Xi slowly reached out to cover his mother's face, feeling the cold stone under his palm. It made Shen Xi wake up somewhat. He had never known his mother had to do such a crazy thing for him to be born. His father's cold treatment and Shen Ji's indifference all seemed to have a reason, but his heart only ached for his mother.

What kind of despair could have driven his mother to such a state? To make his mother feel that he could only be born if Shen Ji and Shen Cheng disappeared?

All these years, father had the right to loathe his mother, and even him by extension, and Shen Ji had the right to resent Han Rou, and even him by extension. But his mother was already lying here quietly, all her love and hate and all her emotions disappearing with that one jump back then, having nothing to do with this world anymore.

No one cared about her situation during those years, no one cared about what she had suffered. Because she was sleeping here, all the blame could be put on her and no one was willing to ask why she had done what she had done back then. His mother was his father's legal wife, so how could he deny her the right to have children? Fang Yun could have children, Zhou Mingmei could have a child, why couldn't his mother?

Shen Ji was his father's child, Shen Cheng was his father's child, but wasn't he? Was he not even qualified to be born?

Shen Xi sat down against his mother's tombstone, the resentment in his heart clamouring desperately. He wanted to ask his father, why on earth did he treat his mother like this, treat him like this? Was it just because of the ridiculous true love that his father talked about?

A jumble of thoughts flashed through his mind in confusion when the sound of footsteps came from afar.

"Xiao Xi!"

A familiar voice sounded in his ears, and Shen Xi slowly lifted his head. Under the dim light, Li Mingxuan ran over panting, his face full of urgency.

Shen Xi looked at Li Mingxuan in a daze, not expecting him to find his way here.

"Xiao Xi." Li Mingxuan's voice trembled as he stood in front of Shen Xi.

Shen Xi looked at Li Mingxuan silently for a while before lowering his head and moving his eyes away. He didn't want to talk now, he just wanted to be quiet and stay with his mother. No matter what Li Mingxuan wanted to say to him, he had no intention of listening. Shen Xi's resistance was so obvious that Li Mingxuan's heart soured and he didn't speak again, just sat quietly by his side.