First Wish

| Chapter 18|

-••••-

" Quit pulling it like that," I whine slapping him on the knee.

" You keep moving, I can't concentrate with you moving like that," he scolds. " Okay now pass me the scissors,"

" Oh hell no," I immediately stand up from between his legs and turn to face him. " There is no way I'm letting you near my hair with a pair of scissors,"

" But how am I supposed to remo-, " I cut him off with a wave of my hand.

" It's fine I'll do it myself," I should have never agreed to give him three wishes. I even forgot about it, and I really thought we were joking.

Although it was hard he helped me pass all my classes. He is very intelligent, I'm sure it must be the hair. Usually, I would spend my holiday hibernating but I guess life had another plan.

" I don't even know why you are removing them, they still look good," he says while flipping through his phone.

" I had them for over a month,"

" So,"

" So... They need to go,"

" Your gender needs to chill,"

" Says the guy that gets his hair trimmed every two weeks, " I say while collecting the hair on the floor and putting them in a bag.

" What time will you pick me up?"

" Around 8 maybe," he says getting up.

" Okay now, leave before I change my mind," I say opening the door for him.

" see you later Coco puffs, " he pulls on one of my curls before walking out.

-••••-

It was a black low-cut dress, that reached mid-thigh. With white Nikes and a crop denim jacket. For my face, I just settled for some clear lip gloss since I don't own makeup. Then wore my favorite hop earrings. I tried making a slick bun with my hair but that didn't work out so I ended up doing a messy bun instead.

I haven't worn a dress in a long time, so I'm slightly out of my comfort zone. I try not to think about it too much as I finish up my look.

Luckily I managed to do all that before 8, which gave me enough time to practice my people skills in front of the mirror. I even googled talking points and read through all the dos and don'ts of making new friends.
Out of all the things he could have wished for he asked for me to meet his friends.

I can just back out now.

But that would hurt him. Plus I promised. I can't be selfish. Not again. And things have been pretty good, the universe has finally decided to give me a break and I wouldn't want to go back to jinx.

Ding dong

He's here. I take one last look in the mirror before making my way downstairs. I really hope that his friends are as nice as he says.

" Hiiii-, " he says but freezes. His eyes slowly trial the length of my body. Focusing on a few places here and there before settling on my lips. He gulps and closes his eyes before murmuring something under his breath.

" What," I ask checking myself. " Am I overdressed... I'll go change, wait he-," he cuts me off.

" No, no you look good," he says making eye contact. " You always look good, "

" You sure, I can ...,"

" Yes I'm sure, now let's go."

Usually, I love the comfortable silence that we share in the car but today is not one of those days. I hate how chilled he is about all of this, as if meeting his friends isn't a big deal. What if they don't like me or worse what if I don't like them? It's really hard for me to pretend to like someone.

" How do I look," I ask out of fear because he hasn't looked at me since we entered the car. " Do you think my dress is too short... How about my hair?"

" Amari, I wouldn't lie to you, " he takes his eyes on the road for a second. " You look beautiful,"

For the rest of the drive, I revised my talking points in my head. Once the car stopped he got out and walked around the car to open the door for me. " Come on,"

I get out and scan the neighborhood before turning to face Shawn who is looking at me very intensely. " What,"

He moves closer leaving only an inch between us. " You are wearing lip gloss,"

I don't know if that was a statement or a question but either way, I couldn't bring myself to speak so I only nod.

His eyes roam my face before settling on my lips. " How mad would you be if I kissed you right now,"

I gulp. " Very,"

He leans in and I automatically close my eyes. I can feel the heat radiating from his face. Then I feel his lips lightly brushing against mine.

Is he going to kiss me or what?

Just as I was about to complain I feel him press his lips against my forehead before pulling away.

" Come on, let's go," he says taking my hand and leading us to a house.

Was I disappointed?... I don't know what I expected but I don't how to react. His playful flirting is starting to get to my head. Friends aren't supposed to tease each other like that.

Once at the door he knocks twice before looking down at me and giving my hand a reassuring squeeze.

Here goes nothing!

¶¶¶