Friend of a friend

| Chapter 15 |

-••••-

" I can't believe you don't eat seafood" Shawn exclaims for the hundredth time today.

We have been spending more and more time together and yet we still have so much to learn about each other. I always hated sympathy and I'm glad that he doesn't treat me differently now that he knows that I'm an orphan. Which makes me appreciate him even more.

" The closest I get to eating that is drowning a cow in the ocean," I say smugly

" You are unbelievable " he scoffs

" It smells " I try to defend

" Whatever "

I just laugh and lean back into his couch.
" I do like Chinese though "

He was about to respond but we heard the front door open and close.

" I'M HOME " they shout

Shawn gets up and walks to the very excited man and they do that handshake thing boys do. I stood there awkwardly as they exchanged greetings before the guy noticed me.

" And who might this fine lady be, " he asks with a slight accent dripping from his tongue.

" You must be Raj," I say extending my hand. " I'm Amari "

He shakes my hand. " Finally we meet " he gives Shawn a look before turning to face me again " let me get my stuff to my room so we can probably get to know each other"

" Yes, sure, " I say, as he picks ups his luggage.

"Sorry, I know you said you weren't ready to meet new people but I swear I didn't know he was coming today... He was supposed to arrive on Sunday." Shawn says as soon as Raj is out of sight." We can leave now if you are uncomfortable, I'm sure Raj will understand.

" No it's fine, he seems delightful," I say.

His eyes roam my face, probably looking for any sign of doubt. "You sure"

" Yeah"

I mean, the least I could do is meet his best friend. From the time we spent together I have come to know that Raj is a big part of Shawns' life. They mat almost five years ago and have been glued to the hip ever since.

We make our way back to the couch and Shawn sits across from me with his legs man spread. " Is my Coco puffs nervously" he teases

" Fuck you Red," I say, it's not every day I willingly meet new people so, of course, I was nervous.

" Ask nicely " he replies wiggling his brows suggestively.

I pretend to be disgusted and narrow my eyes at him. Luckily Raj comes down just in time before I have to come up with a proper response.

" You are more beautiful than he described," Raj says, as he takes a seat next to me.

" Thank you," I say. " How was the wedding?" I ask, trying to start the conversation.

" I have attended almost 13 weddings in my life and this one was by far the most amazing one," he says enthusiastically.

" He only says that because they were lots of single girls there this time, " Shawn says with a light chuckle

" That and that the bride ran away " Raj adds.

And that is how I made another friend. Raj turned out to be quite the joker, I can see how they became friends. They are both very easygoing and tend to have a lot in common. Raj is also studying the same thing as Shawn and I so we also got to fill him in on what he missed while he was gone.

By the time I had to go home, we had exchanged numbers and we were laughing about how he once tricked his uncle into believing that aliens are real.

" Oh- I can't believe you did that," I say through laughs.

" It really didn't take much effort," Raj says, laughing along with me as we walk to the door.

Once my laughter dies out. " Anyway, I should probably get going," I say glancing at a slightly annoyed-looking Shawn.

Raj notices and gives me a knowing look.
" Yeah, I'll see you around," he says before leaving the scene.

We silently get into the car and Shawn doesn't say anything as he drives me home which is very unlike him. " Are you okay?" I ask once we stop in front of my house.

" Are you okay " he shoots the question back to me.

" Yeah I think so- are you okay," I ask turning in my seat to face him.

" Honestly," he asks and I nod. " I'm a mixture of happy, hurt, and a little bit jealous"

" Huh, why" I from

" Well a part of me is happy to see you interact with people " he starts but stops.

" But? " I press.

" I'm also hurt at how easily you can do that with him, but not with me"

" And? "I urge

" I don't think I'm ready to share you with the world yet" he sighs leaning back into his seat with his eyes closed.

One thing I love about this man is his ability to say what's on his mind without a care in the world. His honesty is refreshing.

" Ginger," I say, taking his hand in mine. This must have surprised him because he opens his eyes and looks at our joined hands before fixing eyes on my face. It was the first time I initiated physical contact with him.

" I wouldn't have been outside right now, or even be interacting with people in the first place if weren't for you. And I was only being nice to Raj because he is your best friend otherwise I wouldn't even have tried, " I say, hoping he hears the sincerity in my voice.

" And as for sharing me, I don't think I'll ever want to spend as much time as I do with you with someone else" I add, giving his hand a small squeeze.

He smirks as he eyes me silently for a few seconds before finally responding. " Let me take you out." He states more than asks.

" No " I reply shyly

" I'll try again another time," he says giving my hand a light squeeze.

" I know you will," I say, letting go of his and getting out of the car. " Goodnight Ginger"

" Goodnight Coco puffs," he says and waits until I'm in the house before driving off.

¶¶¶