Chapter Nineteen

It has been a few weeks. Charlie was found and after a lengthy interrogation and confession, he was charged with three counts of murder and is awaiting trial. Niamh has met her new social worker - Naomi Taylor. Naomi agreed to let Niamh continue to see Jim and stay with him when she needs to as part of the pathway to fostering and adopting.

Niamh is chilling at Jim's playing some video games with Luca whilst Jim clears up the kitchen since they just had lunch. She has just won yet another game.

'Yes!' She shouts, jumping up and throwing her arms in the air.

'Damn.' Luca groans.

'In your face, sucka.' Niamh grins, sitting back down next to him.

'You are so competitive.' Luca laughs as he shakes his head.

'It's not my fault you can't keep up old man.' Niamh replies.

'How old do you think I am?' Luca asks.

'I dunno.' Niamh shrugs. 'Old.' Jim walks into the room.

'Are you at it again with the old man jokes again?' Jim raises his eyebrow at her.

'Yep.' Niamh nods proudly.

'Atta girl.' Jim grins. 'Luca, can we have the room? There's something I need to speak to Niamh about.'

'Sure.' Luca nods, stands up and walks out. Jim takes his seat.

'Is everything okay?' Niamh asks concerned.

'Everything's fine.' Jim nods. 'I met with your social worker and got permission to talk to you about this. As you know, we had to stop doing the paperwork for me to become your legal guardian because of everything that has happened.' He starts. 'We started on the paperwork again yesterday and it's all done.' Niamh's face lights up. 'All that's left is for you to have a meeting with Naomi and then we can file it with family courts and get a hearing. Naomi doesn't anticipate a judge saying no.'

'Really?' Niamh grins.

'Really.' Jim nods. Niamh squeals and hugs him; Jim laughs and wraps his arms around her. 'Now, you can't tell anyone about this.' He adds once they've parted. 'Well, you can tell Will because I know nothing will stop you from telling him.' He laughs. 'Just no one else. Not until it's official.'

'Okay.' Niamh smiles.

'Once everything is sorted and we have a moving day for you, we'll go out shopping the day before for your room.' Jim tells her. 'Would you like that?'

'Yeah.' Niamh nods enthusiastically. For once, things are looking up for her.

.

The next afternoon, Niamh is walking into William's apartment.

'Will?' She shouts. Will walks out from the lounge.

'Hey.' He smiles. 'I didn't know you were coming over today.'

'I wasn't planning on it, but I have some news.' Niamh replies. 'Good news.' She notices that he's dressed smartly. 'Oh, crap. You have your date with Victoria.' Victoria is a girl Will met at his care leavers support group. They'd been on quite a few dates and made their relationship official a week ago. Niamh has met her a handful of times and they've been getting along. Although, deep down, Niamh doesn't like the idea of them dating.

'It's fine.' Will laughs. 'We rescheduled from dinner to lunch. I've not long got back from dropping her home.' They both walk into the lounge and sit down.

'How did it go?' Niamh questions.

'It went well.' Will nods. 'So, what's your good news?'

'Jim finished the paperwork to become my legal guardian.' Niamh grins.