Chapter Eleven

A few hours later, William and Niamh are in the study hall. Niamh has been staring at her work for nearly twenty minutes, a sign that something is bothering her.

'Niamh?' William tries to get her attention. When she doesn't respond, he tries again. 'Niamh.' 

'Hmm?' She looks up at him.

'You okay?' He asks, concerned. 

'Yeah.' Niamh nods. Willaim raises his eyebrow. 'I fucked up saying that to them, didn't I?' William sighs and moves closer to her. 'What if something happens to them and-' 

'Hey, you were shaken.' He says. 'No-one's going to blame you for what you said.' He looks at the time. 'There's only an hour left of the day, why don't we leave and go and get something to eat? You have a pass to leave from Cartridge, right?'

'Yeah.' Niamh nods. 'Dunkin'?' She smirks.

'You read my mind.' William laughs. 

.

It gets to 6 pm. William and Niamh are sat on a bench on the pier overlooking the sea. 

'Does the home know you're out?' William questions and Niamh looks at him.

'Yeah.' Niamh nods. 'Wouldn't want to get you into trouble.' She adds with a little laugh. There are a few moments of silence. 'Charlie stopped by this morning before I left for school.' 

'Yeah?'

'He - erm, he wants to transfer me to a new home.' Niamh tells him.

'What?! Why?!' William exclaims. 'You've been doing really well there. The support they give you is amazing.' 

'He thinks that I'm at risk there.' Niamh responds.

'At risk of what?' Willaim queries. 

'At risk of the Shaws finding out that's where I live.' Niamh says. 'If I tell him that they now go to the same school as me he'll definitely pull me out of the home and out of the school.'

'What about Jim?' Willaim suggests. 

'What about him?' Niamh asks confused. 

'Can't you stay with him? Wasn't Charlie also his social worker?' 

'Yeah but I mean I haven't known Jim for that long.' Niamh states. 'Apparently, he's been speaking with Charlie about staying with him and Luca when I need to, like for a break from the home or whenever I've had a rough day, but that's like once in a while. I don't think he's ready to have a teenage girl living with him.' Willaim just laughs. 'What?' 

'You two already act like you've known each other for years.' He tells her. 'I don't think he will have a problem with it. And I don't think Charlie will either.' Niamh looks back out at the sea. 'You already know that though.' He realises. 'You're worried about how it will impact your mental health.' 

'All I've known is group homes and foster homes - shitty foster homes.' Niamh says. 'I don't know what to expect, how to act - what if I screw it up?' 

'You won't screw it up.' William reassures her. 'You could never screw it up. Jim is lucky to have you as a little sister.' Niamh smiles at him, 'and I'm lucky that you came into my life.' 

'I'm the lucky one.' Niamh says. 'You saved my life. Literally. I don't know where I'd be without you.' William puts his arm around her and brings her in for a hug.

'You know I love you and I want what's best for you, right?' He tells her.

'You've told Charlie about what happened, didn't you?' Niamh asks, pulling away from him.