t w e n t y - t w o

That whole night, even in my sleep, I kept thinking the exact same thing.

Peter kissed me.

I kissed Peter.

We freaking kissed.

I've never kissed anyone before.

And in that way, I mean like, kiss, kiss.

I've kissed people to take advantage of them, but this is the first time that I've kissed someone because I meant it.  I never thought I'd be here.  Kissing someone, falling for-

Ok, wait- it's really not that far.  I'm not falling.  I'm not falling.  Falling, falling, falling.

I'm freaking falling.

The way I notice the way his eyes run over mine, the way my heart  trembles when he does something caring for me, the way I try to impress him.

I think he's falling too.  That's a little obvious.  I really hope he is.  Because if he isn't, there's no reason for me to stay here.  I'm only staying for Peter.

Anything else, I don't need.  But I need Peter.

The morning sun shined high, surprising me instead of the same old gloomy clouds.  I smiled, knowing it would be an awkward morning between Peter and I.

"Morning," I said, walking over to Peter, who was scrolling on his phone, eating a bowl of cereal.

"Good morning, help yourself."  Peter said robotically.

I lifted an eyebrow.  

"I-I mean good morning!"  he smiled enthusiastically.

I rolled my eyes.  "Are you acting strange because of the freaking kiss?  It's not a big deal, Peter!  It was just a mistake or whatever you might call it!" 

"Everything isn't a big deal to you, Charlotte!  It's like everything doesn't matter to you!"  he said, slamming his spoon on the table.

My eyes widened in fear.  

He didn't seem to notice, which was a little frightening.

I took a step back as Peter scooted his chair back and stepped towards me.

"Can't you see that I care for you?"  Peter said lowly.

My chest rose and fell quickly.  I was scared.  Really scared.

I had woken up feeling for him.  And now I felt afraid.  Of the one person who cared for me the most.  

His face had come closer to my face.

And this time, it wasn't for a kiss.

He grabbed my face, my cheeks hot.  

My throat screamed, but no sound emerged.