e l e v e n

I opened my eyes carefully, but my heavy eyelids weighed them down.

I moved my arm, finding that it had been hooked up to an IV.

What?

A hospital?

My instincts flared, and my eyes flashed open, despite the pain.

I sat straight up, ignoring the throbbing pain in my chest, arms, neck and head.

I was ready to escape through the window on the right wall.  If they had me, they'd ask for my information.  And I'm not the most clean person in the world.  

I remembered almost nothing after Bing had captured me.  The only thing I remembered was pain.

Excruciating pain.

I remember hearing my own screams.

But right when I was about to yank the IV off, a nurse walked in.

"Oh, hello, Miss. Charlotte.  You're awake!" she said cheerfully.

I felt like I had been caught stealing a cookie from my mother.

"We're going to take some tests, draw some blood! You okay with that?" she said, obviously hinting it was a rhetorical question.

I shook my head.  "No," I croaked.

She looked up at me in confusion.

"No tests," I said, clearing my throat.

"Ok, just let me-" she said, unwrapping a needle.

I let out a cry, despite my damaged vocal cords.  I scrambled off the bed and onto the ground.  I tried to stand up, but my leg was wrapped in plaster.  The hospital gown started to slip down my shoulder but I didn't care.  The IV scratched my skin.

A man in a uniform smashed open the door, looking around in confusion before spotting me on the ground.

"What happened?" he asked.

The nurse started to stammer.  "I-I don't know!  I was going to draw some blood but she go-"

She was interrupted by a slam of the door.

"George-" a familiar voice called. 

My eyes froze, finding a distorted vision of Peter.

"Why is she on the floor?" Peter asked lowly.

"Peter, let us figure this out, can you step out for a minute?" the officer commanded.

Peter shot me another look before walking out. 

It wasn't disgust.

It was concern.

The officer sent the nurse out the room respectfully before leaving the room himself.