t w e l v e

Before I had made my so-called daring escape, I had grabbed the plastic rods of the headboard to make makeshift crutches.
It would work.

For now.

I had my backpack slung on one shoulder, and I had dressed in the most normal clothes I could find.  It probably didn't help that I had cuts and bruises everywhere.

I navigated through the streets of New York, hoping no one would recognize me.

Even if Bing was in jail, he had a whole army of henchman, so arresting Bing was no help to me.

But I had to be more careful.  High-school was supposed to be my cover, not a place where I could be exposed.

I guess I really am dumb.

The shorts I had pulled on chafed the plaster on my cast, my hair tangled around my scalp.  But I just needed somewhere I could stay.

Somewhere safe.

Luckily for me, I don't have anywhere to stay.

The streets have become too dangerous, New York has become too dangerous.

There was no doubt I would be caught again.

And this time, there'd be no one to save me.

All this time, I've been hiding and only made a few mistakes, only made a few appearances to my captors, but this time, I've really done it.  I really, really thought that high-school was going to cover me.

But I know deep in my heart, that going to high-school didn't mean what it should have meant for me.  

I finally broke down from limping through the streets and settled in a dark alleyway.

This'll have to do.

As I laid my backpack on the floor, I remembered the money.

I rummaged through my pack, remembering that I been kidnapped because of the money.

And I had never found that money.

But I still searched through with hope, when I felt a small envelope.

I opened it, realizing it wasn't the same envelope.

My heart sank, but inside, I found a small notecard.

I held it up to the flickering lamp, squinting.

So I take it you've made one of your escapes.

I knew you would.  I can't say that I'm glad though.  But let's just say that I hope you're realizing what a big mistake you've commited.

Was he scolding me through a LETTER?

I know I can't go through what you've been through, but I just wanted to tell you that I see your pain.  You think you can hide it, but you can see it through your eyes.  Your eyes give you away, Charlotte.