e i g h t e e n

11 months later...

I freaking graduated

I'm in college now, and even when I had received multiple scholarships, I had decided to stay close to home.  Studying computer science.

NYU.  One of my dreams. 

Sam almost done with his senior year, and get this.

He got himself a girlfriend.  And you'll never believe who it is.

Julie.  

Well, maybe it was kind of given.  

Eli was in freaking Europe, doing whatever he did.  Clown acts, comedy, magic shows.  That dude.

And me.  Just attending a college myself.  Sure college was fun, but it was nothing like those books I had read.  It felt like more of a dramatic, free school.

Charlotte disappeared.

Just out of the blue.  We had just made up that night.  And bam- she'd walked out on me.  I don't know why she did it.  Maybe she was embarrassed?  Humiliated?  Homelessness.  I've never thought about it before Charlotte.  Or maybe I had ruined it all.

But the thing is... I don't know what I did.

I had seen the letter, read the letters, cried over the letters.  I literally died.  People at school didn't even notice.  Maybe Trevor, maybe a few other kids, but I know I did.

She had left me.  She thought there was nothing .  She didn't think of me. 

Actually, all of us died.  Sam, Julie and me.  

I don't know where the hell she is.  She's probably dead or something.  Or in some sort of tangled mess.  I'm not coming to save her this time.  I simply can't. 

That glimmer of hope that Char could come back.   But she hasn't.  Not yet.

But the hurt passed.  I moved on.  

The thing is, I finally felt what Charlotte had tried to explain to me.  A heart trying to heal, but small cracks breaking it up. 

She had told me what she wanted.  She wanted to graduate.  Throw her cap and receive a freaking diploma.  Go to college.  Get a job.  

But she'd thrown all of that away right in the trash.  A week before Christmas.  

I felt for her.  I really did.  I thought- maybe - we could click.  We had gone through so much, related to so much.  

Sam's heart was torn right out of his body. 

He stayed in his room for days.  He told me he knew what his parents had done.  He had apologized.  He was a mess.  I knew he blamed himself.